Talk

Advanced search

how do i make a vampire cape?

(7 Posts)
mumineedapooooo Tue 16-Oct-12 14:54:31

ive googled for a pattern but no luck.

i have a black single quilt cover i can use but how would i do the collar and get it to stand up?

any ideas please?

mrscumberbatch Tue 16-Oct-12 16:39:14

I would do the collar in cardboard and then just cover it with the fabric.

What you need is a big triangle shape that doesn't meet at the top, then add enough fabric at the top to do the collar and wrap it around some card, or a wire hanger.

Add a tie at the narrowest part of the collar and the fact it's cinched in and it's rigidness should make it stand up.

Hope that makes some sense, it is really difficult to explain!

MOSagain Thu 18-Oct-12 09:27:52

I would do what I did yesterday and buy one for £1 in Poundland blush
well done you though for making it, wish I had talents.

mumineedapooooo Thu 18-Oct-12 11:29:10

it would cost me £7 in bus fair to get to my nearest poundland sad, found one in supermarket but it was made of that naff fibre cloth stuff that rips like paper.

nipitinthebud Thu 18-Oct-12 21:59:24

I've made a Superman cape and a dragon's hood with a collar thing so this is what I would do:

Cut rectangle from duvet to size including the neck to leg, and the collar times two (you want to fold over the collar and sew in the stand-up supporting material.

Fold over collar area and sew to give a pocket to put in the stand-up supporting material and a thin pocket to put a bit of ribbon or elastic for a tie.

Now....use your imagination that the below is the material......

_________________________________(fold)
^
(double thickness, wrong side together) (know this width from ^^so you
cut right size side stand up
material)
^
----------------------------------------------(sew)
(thread elastic/ribbon/curtain cord through here)
----------------------------------------------(sew)
__________________________________(edge of material)

___________________________________(end of cape)

put the cord length through the thin pocket. Pull to gather material together. Possibly best to tack it to the cape so that it stays gathered.

Once gathered slot in your stand-up supporting material - I would use some thin plastic (scrap plastic sheet, something laminated?) - or could use cardboard...but think plastic gives better shape. If using plastic make sure corners are rounded so won't poke out and jab Dracula) - cut out the width and length (dependent on how much its gathered). Fold over edges to inside and sew to finish off collar.

Hope that makes some sense!!!!

nipitinthebud Thu 18-Oct-12 22:06:05

OR....cut out the cape like this...the cutting of the cape would achieve a pretty good Vampiric effect without too much else

http://pinterest.com/pin/132434045262953841/

But also, thinking about it, you could also try cutting off the collar from an old man's shirt, covering it in the fabric and sewing it to the cape?

nipitinthebud Thu 18-Oct-12 22:06:25

pinterest.com/pin/132434045262953841/

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now