Talk

Advanced search

Sewing machine for DD age 9

(6 Posts)
KevinFoley Mon 15-Oct-12 13:20:22

Browsing on John Lewis online for a machine for DD for Christmas, she is dextrous and careful. We might want to do some quilting, make simple clothes, as well as little projects. Should I go for the cheap John Lewis mini £49 version or something better like the Bernina basic model which is 3 times the price? Any other recommendations? Also, has anyone seen a sewing basket which isn't 'old lady' material? Many thanks.

rockinhippy Mon 15-Oct-12 13:56:27

I would go for the mini one as you might find she loses interest I bought my DD a similar one last year when she was 9 & she does like it, but she hasn't used it as much as I'd hoped, so I'm glad I didn't spend more.

She does however prefer using an old handcrank model that I picked up from an antique place, I bought it as its the same one I learnt to sew on & I just love old machines, she likes the control she has on it much better & says she feels safer until her hands are bigger - the machine head of the mini one isn't much different to a full size. she's far less nervous of the handcrank - & its beautiful smile

It might just be that I did too good a job of frightening her off fiddling with my machines & overlocker when she was tiny though & used to scare the life out of me fiddling near the blades etcblush

NK346f2849X127d8bca260 Mon 15-Oct-12 18:34:18

www.johnlewis.com/231405817/Product.aspx

Just bought this one for 9 year old dd , seems very robust and she is finding it easy to use.

KevinFoley Thu 18-Oct-12 14:21:30

thanks both, i shall go for the little JL one.

sunnyshine Thu 18-Oct-12 14:26:16

Just bought my dd age 8 the John Lewis mini and is a huge success. She genuinely loves it and shrieked when she opened it! Has made some fab bits too!

KevinFoley Thu 18-Oct-12 17:31:59

That's fab, is it easy to set up?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now