Talk

Advanced search

Buying wool to crochet

(17 Posts)
theodora Sun 14-Oct-12 20:11:48

I have just started crocheting last Tuesday and am enthusiastically making mis-shapen granny squares. Sadly my local wool shop closed down a month ago and I wondered where I could buy good wool cheaply on line.

I saw the link to cheap wool (acrylic) on the other learning to crochet thread, which is helpful, but just wondered if there were any cheap places for better quality wool.

Thanks so much.

VintageRainBoots Sun 14-Oct-12 20:37:08

Theodora, I'm new around here---in fact, I'm still in the US...we're moving to Guildford soon for my husband's new job---and I knit rather than crochet, but I wanted to say hi. From my experience, it's easy to get addicted to knitting, crocheting, and other yarncraft. I love knitting.

Have you joined ravelry.com? It's an online knitting/crochet community. There are lots of UK members on ravelry. You shouldn't have any trouble finding something there who can help you find some quality wool (yarn).

Have fun!

Inneedofbrandy Sun 14-Oct-12 20:38:47

There is always wool in the red cross charity shop near me. Iv'e also got 2 craft shops and a odds and end shop that sells it close by. I guess you could try ebay, amazon or hobby craft?

theodora Sun 14-Oct-12 21:02:18

Hi Vintage, good luck with the move. I've joined Ravelry, but am struggling to find my way around it - it's not as obvious as mumsnet!

Thanks for the tip about the Red Cross shop, Brandy. I'll trawl my local charity shops.

Thanks so much x

SirBoobAlot Sun 14-Oct-12 21:05:41

The Martlets Hospice shops are always brilliant for wool. I'm heading there tomorrow grin I've just taken up crochet again, can still only manage single crochet, but enjoy it.

theodora Sun 14-Oct-12 21:07:07

Also meant to say, I've found Attic24 and have found her tutorials really helpful. And her creations are beautiful smile

PurplePidjin Sun 14-Oct-12 21:09:40

Come and join us on the Team Hooker and Woolly Hug threads, lots of fellow addicts enthusiasts with advice.

Deramores and Black Sheep Wool off the top of my head smile

TheWoollybacksWife Sun 14-Oct-12 22:00:25

I can recommend Kemps online wool shop too. They stock Stylecraft acrylic which is a good non squeaky acrylic that makes lovely soft items smile

colditz Sun 14-Oct-12 22:01:49

Do you mean wool wool, or better quality acrylic?

Acrylic is better for things like blankets, because they often get stuff on and need to be washed.

colditz Sun 14-Oct-12 22:02:32

If you want a truly lovely wool, try blue face leicester

theodora Sun 14-Oct-12 22:26:08

Thanks Colditz, I was meaning wool wool, but hadn't thought about the washing aspect. As I'm just thinking blankets at the mo, it might be better to go with a good acrylic like Woolly's suggestion. Thank you both.

Thanks PurplePidjin, I've lurked a bit on your thread and some of it seems like a foreign language grin. I have got loads if crochet questions so will come and join you when I get up the courage! Thanks for the wool suggestions too x

NannyR Sun 14-Oct-12 22:56:03

Texere has a great selection of real wools and cottons as well as stuff like Debbie bliss and Sirdar. Their catalogue is brilliant with samples of all the yarns. I'm lucky enough to live near the shop and it's like an aladdins cave for anyone who loves knitting and crochet.

PurplePidjin Mon 15-Oct-12 09:00:02

That's what it's there for, Theodora! We seem to go through phases - scroll back a page or two and you'll find it a bit more beginner friendly bit. Just depends who's asking, tbh smile

If you want a nicer quality that you can wash, look for a mix - wool, nylon, acrylic, merino, bamboo, silk etc. Avoid anything that says hand wash only unless you're making longies and soakers

SoupDragon Mon 15-Oct-12 17:13:41

I love Black Sheep and I think that's where most of my yarn comes from. I tend to buy what they have on offer, which is why I have a load of cashmerino silk aran waiting to be made into a blanket.

Once you know what you're looking for, Kemps is good and often has bargains.

I've also used Cucumber Patch and Deramores

Viviennemary Mon 15-Oct-12 17:17:13

Hobbycraft has some very cheap wool for practice as well as better wool.Get Knitted an online woolshop has some lovely wool and good service but again it's better quality so probably not really suitable for practice.

ManifestingMingeHooHoosAgain Mon 15-Oct-12 17:32:49

Hobbycraft is generally very poor value though, unless they have an offer on, and in store I find they are very naughty at putting several dyelots on the shelf together <hoiks bosom and tuts>

Cucumberpatch, black sheep and kemps all good. Stash fine yarns good too, and ebay seller called aileens wool shop.

Second the suggestion to join ravelry, it's fab.

theodora Tue 16-Oct-12 13:39:40

Thank you everyone for your suggestions, am off to google them. Have also had a peek at Ravelry, but am feeling a bit daunted at the mo!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now