Talk

Advanced search

Brora cashmere wristwarmers...

(5 Posts)
Annianni Sat 13-Oct-12 13:53:33

I want to try and knit some wrist warmers (like the brora ones) and wondered if anyone had any tips?

I've seen some merino yarn that I like the look of, that needs 3.25mm needles.

And I was just going to try and do it without a pattern, so they are just plain tubes, without a thumb bit in.

I can do basic knitting, nothing fancy unfortunately. I used to knit scarves when I was younger.

Tia

tharsheblows Sat 13-Oct-12 14:05:29

The reason the Brora wristwarms are so excellent is that the bit around the fingers is stretchy and doesn't go all misshapen over time. Not elastic, I don't think, but that knitty thing you can do that makes it elastic-like? And on Brora's, that bit is doubled over. Oh, I am so not a knitter, I hope you know what I mean. I had some last year that weren't like this - they were just, as you say, tubes of yarn with thumb bits. It was super annoying when the finger bit went wonky from use.

DameFannyGallopsAtaGhost Sat 13-Oct-12 14:08:47

You can do it without a pattern - just make sure you have the circumference of the widest bit of your arm they'll reach to, and do it in a rib stitch.

Re thumb hole, all you have to do is knit as a rectangle, then leave a gap in the right place when you're sewing up. If the edge isn't perfect, you can double it over for a really thin hem and sew it down, so it looks more meant.

Annianni Sun 14-Oct-12 10:20:46

Thanks, m&s have got some which look like that, but with crystals on.
I can't do links as i'm on my phone.

I'll have a go with the merino wool, it if works out ok, i'll get some cashmere.

shattereddreams Sun 14-Oct-12 21:19:21

Benetton! Fraction of price of Brora. And in a rainbow of colours. (sorry, not in the spirit of things!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now