Advanced search

What do I need to do a small stall at a fayre?

(10 Posts)
MummifiedBonkeyMollocks Mon 08-Oct-12 21:00:18

I have just started making jewellery (literally in the last week). I have been offered a stall at a small christmas fayre.

I would like to do it if i can manage to get enough stock up together.

What do I need in regard to any license/insurance etc?

Grockle Mon 08-Oct-12 21:03:16


I have been debating doing this but am not organised or well enough to sort it out at the moment. Good luck!

flubba Mon 08-Oct-12 21:14:42

Ooh how exciting! Good luck.

I did my first stall last November (handmade fabric gifts) and loved it. You should get PLI to cover you ~ I'll dig mine out and see where I got it from.

flubba Mon 08-Oct-12 21:18:00

I got it from CMTIA although it's £48 for the year. I see it as an investment and most organisers require it (and rightly so).

As a one-off it seems a lot, but if you're planning on doing more than one fair, it'll even itself out. CMTIA were hassle-free and quick.

MummifiedBonkeyMollocks Mon 08-Oct-12 21:22:44


I would love to do a few more so £48 isn't too bad.

Is that all I need?
Do I need to register as a business or anything?
I'm not planning on making millions but don't want to get caught out without something I need?

flubba Mon 08-Oct-12 21:34:14

I haven't registered (yet?) - but I make very little - £50 a month on a good month. I think you have 3 months to register once starting as self-employed. I'm not the one to ask though as am burying my head in the sand as to register would mean I am actually taking the plunge. I think it's a matter of paperwork rather than anything else when you're a small business. Try posting in employment to get real advice.

MummifiedBonkeyMollocks Mon 08-Oct-12 21:41:40

I heard about the 3 month thing too.
I only started a week ago friday so that should mean I have until Jan?

I can't imagine I will make that much but my only ds has started school so I have loads of time to fill, and I have finally found something I enjoy! smile

Thankyou for your help! I will pop a post in employment in the next few days!

Grockle Tue 09-Oct-12 08:13:09

Flubba - what kind of fabric things do you sell? I'm teaching myself to sew again & am bored with drawstring bags! I need to broaden my horizons somewhat. I am just beginning to make reusable snack bags & sand which wraps too.

ParsleyTheLioness Tue 09-Oct-12 08:18:10

Tax office needs to know you are self employed, as others have said. I got my PLI with Market Insure, and I think it was around the £50 mark. Needs to ensure you against a problem caused by workmanship etc.

flubba Tue 09-Oct-12 08:27:51

Grockle I make all sorts of things from bunting to little named cushions to simple clothes for my DCs to key rings. I've just made an owl-pyjama case for my DD's birthday which I love. I have lots of free tutorials on my blog which you're welcome to check out. If you search under tutorials and then scroll back for older entries too, you can see all of them there.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: