Talk

Advanced search

thread help

(6 Posts)
MostlyFine Sun 07-Oct-12 22:06:40

Have recently taken up sewing again and have been making bags for myself and friends. I am needing to buy a large quantity of thread and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations or definite brands to steer clear of.

I do not have an overlocking sewing machine so can't buy the big cones. I just wanted to check with your amazing crafty selves as I have been advised previously that Moon thread is not particularly sturdy - is this the case?

Anyone ever heard of or used royal thread?

Thanks so much in advance.

Shesparkles Sun 07-Oct-12 22:09:51

You've been advised correctly!

I (and a lot of people I know) swear by Gutterman. It's not cheap, but it also means you don't have to sop every few minutes to re-thread your machine because the thread's broken <bitter experience>
A lot of people use Coats Duet, but I still find Gutterman the best, I've used it all the time I've been sewing, which is 30+ years (eek!)

Shesparkles Sun 07-Oct-12 22:12:35

Sorry I didn't see your question about Royal, it's not a brand I'm familiar with

MostlyFine Sun 07-Oct-12 22:27:20

Thank you so much for getting back to me - thats really helpful to know. Would you say that standard Gutterman is strong enough to hold a bag together or do I need to buy special heavy duty stuff.

Jellykat Sun 07-Oct-12 22:42:59

Stay away from Moon thread, it's absolute rubbish and breaks every couple of inches.

I too have never heard of Royal, i use Coats Duet purely because its slightly cheaper than Gutterman.

What sort of bag is it? I use the standard thread for heavyweight cotton and linen Totes and its fine.

FaintingGoat Sun 07-Oct-12 22:45:24

Coats user here smile but only because I got a job lot on ebay for cheap, I have some Gutterman too.

If your bags are large (and therefore heavy when full of stuff) you might need something tougher, but I would think Gutterman would do it. I'm not a regular bag-maker though so can't say from experience.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now