Talk

Advanced search

knitting newbie

(37 Posts)

Today I bought my first ever pair of needles (4.5mm) and some acrylic yarn (cheap stuff to practice.)

I have watched youtube videos and so far I can cast on ok. I know the steps for knitting and purling.

But when I get to the last few stitches in a row it all goes wrong. The yarn starts slipping. I get confused. Especially at the end of the first knitting row where the knot is from casting on. I cant seem to hold the tail tight enough and it unravels.

Can anyone advise what I am doing wrong?

Also any tips/knowledge in general you think woukd be useful for a beginner?

TIA smile

TheWoollybacksWife Sat 06-Oct-12 19:14:30

Apologies if you are more advanced than this...

Are you starting with a slip knot?

Are you using a two needle cast on or the thumb method?

Keep the stitches on your left hand needle below the part of the needle where it starts to narrow to a point (assuming you are right handed).

I don't knit in a "classic" way - I drop my right hand needle when I wrap my yarn round where other people seem to be able to keep hold of both needles. I do keep tight hold of my left hand needle though.

I am in no way advanced. Never knitted before today smile

I have used the slipknot and also (following a youtube video) I just tied it on. Both times it unravelled.

Then I tied it on and double knotted, out of frustration, and that didnt unravel but then once I had reached the end of the purl row it unravelled.

If I keep the stitches below the narrowing part how do I get the stitch off the left hand needle? I have to keep sliding it up to get it off. Is that wrong? Am I making it too tight?

Oh and Im using two needle cast on. Im not sure what the thumb method is.

Flojo1979 Sat 06-Oct-12 19:33:46

Not sure what u mean by 'tied it on'. Just use a slip knot, don't tie anything. If its unravelling then u r casting on wrong.

Flojo1979 Sat 06-Oct-12 19:34:59

I use the thumb method, I'm fairly new to knitting (made a couple of scars and now making a teddy).
You tube the thumb method and see how that goes.

TheWoollybacksWife Sat 06-Oct-12 19:44:06

No you slide it up the needle to get it off - I should have said that, sorry. Just keep the rest as low down as the tension in your knitting will allow.

PrincessSymbian Sat 06-Oct-12 19:48:34

Perhaps for the moment just stick with a garter stitch, and once you've mastered that, start messing around with purling and stocking stitch.

Ok I have cast on with the thumb method. Much easier.

But getting the stitch off is still a problem. There just doesnt seem to be any "give" in it.

Im sounding really dense, sorry.

MrsMiniversCharlady Sat 06-Oct-12 20:13:04

I would maybe just try making the slip knot looser then.

TheWoollybacksWife Sat 06-Oct-12 20:19:52

OK. When you need to slip your stitch off then try this.

keep your right hand on your right hand needle

Put your left hand thumb in between the stitch you are knitting on the left hand needle and the rest of the stitches on the left hand needle.

Ease the knitted stitch off gently while keeping all the rest of the left hand stitches on the needle.

If necessary pull your yarn to tighten up your stitch on your right hand needle. This can become a bit slack while you faff around with the stitches.

It is hard to explain rather than show IYSWIM. If you are in Northants/Leics I can do a knit and natter and cake, lots of cake grin

Ok, I will try that!

Im in N.Ireland sad knit and natter would be great if I was near. Im like a dog with a bone. I will conquer this grin

TheWoollybacksWife Sat 06-Oct-12 20:40:37

Good for you. It's a fab hobby. I crochet too try that next grin

I've been knitting since I was a little girl and I'm an old gimmer now. I love getting new yarn and patterns. I have a new baby great-niece (born today) and I need to sew on some buttons and send her the cardigans that I've made.

Im due my second DC in four weeks. I doubt I will have anything useful made by then, but Id love to make something.

I want to crochet too. When DD was born she was given a crochet blanket. She loved it.

Aww to the new baby today!! Knitted cardigans are so cute on babies!

Thank you all so much!!

I regressed last night totally. Couldnt even hold the needles properly. So I left it and came back to it today and it all makes sense! Its working.

Great advice here! Thank you smile

TheWoollybacksWife Mon 08-Oct-12 13:48:00

How is it going wannabe ?

Still no buttons sewn on here...

Not too bad. It keeps getting really tight and twisting though so I think I need to be a bit looser with the yarn.

DD came home, saw the needles and asked was she going to use the new chopsticks to eat her dinner with grin

Flojo1979 Mon 08-Oct-12 15:55:20

Ha chopsticks, love it!
When I first started i kept knitting really tight because I was scared it would unravel otherwise. U need to knit quite loose, especially when u get to make a stitch level. But try and keep the tension even then your knitting will look even. Are u making a scarf?

Flojo1979 Mon 08-Oct-12 15:55:46

Wish I could come to knit and natter!

I am just practising at the minute. But my first project will probably be a scarf in garter stitch. Though I think I need bigger needles than 4.5mm and chunkier wool.

Knit and natter would actually be great!!

Flojo1979 Mon 08-Oct-12 22:01:08

What's a garter stitch? A normal knit stitch?
My first scarf I knit stitched it all, then my second one I knit a row, purl a row, but I prefer knit on both sides.

Yeah just all knit stitch. I like the way it looks.

I do know how to purl, but Im just going to get familiar with the general process and try to work out the right tension etc then start adding different styles of stitch.

You probably know all this but this page outlines the types of stitches really clearly!

Yeah just all knit stitch. I like the way it looks.

I do know how to purl, but Im just going to get familiar with the general process and try to work out the right tension etc then start adding different styles of stitch.

You probably know all this but this page outlines the types of stitches really clearly!

Flojo1979 Tue 09-Oct-12 18:16:31

Ah no I didn't know this, the teddy I'm making is all in knit (garter) stitch, but gets complicated as I have to make stitches and increase (apparently its different but not sure how!) and decrease. Worse bit is keeping count of where I am up to. Don't need to count when making a scarf!

Yes, the counting is going to be a nightmare for me in this house. Im usually involved in two conversations simultaneously.

DD has already ordered a hat and scarf and gloves hmm shes optimistic!!

I wonder how increasing and decreasing works. I will have to look that up on you tube!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now