Talk

Advanced search

I've just discovered crochet. Will you pass on your best tips?

(12 Posts)
Tobermory Sat 06-Oct-12 16:54:29

I enjoy craft and up to now its been mainly cross stitch.
I thought I'd have a go at crochet, bought a hook and some chunky wool and several hours later, thanks to lots on online tutorials, I am close to mastering Double crochet.my first attempt was supposed be a rectangle but turned out is a great piece of bunting, more accident than design!

So what do I need to know?
I fancy making me a scarf, chunky wool, preferably fluffy and if it had the odd sequin on then so much better. Can anyone point me in the direction of that 'kind' of wool. I know nothing about wool!

Thanks x

SpookyRumours Sat 06-Oct-12 21:13:20

I've recenty got into crocheting too so will be watching with interest. Like you I watched lots of online tutorials, I also got a book out the library, but can't remember what it was called, and I managed to crochet a bag smile
Hopefully someone with more experienced will be along.

FaintingGoat Sat 06-Oct-12 22:02:13

King Cole's yarn called Galaxy has sequins on. I wouldn't say it's fluffy, but it is lovely and soft, and perhaps most importantly, the sequins are NOT ITCHY. It comes in DK and chunky weights (chunky being the thicker of the two).

What you need to know is that american crochet terms and british ones are different: UK double crochet = US single. UK Treble = US double crochet. It doesn't matter which you prefer to use, as long as you stick to one throughout your project. It's helpful to know both so that you can use patterns you like without worrying whether they are UK or US. Does that make sense?

Tobermory Sat 06-Oct-12 23:26:55

FaintingGoat Thankyou for the sequin wool link, I like that!. Think I need to find myself a good wool shop nearby to go and have a look.
I have been following these instructions... www.anniescatalog.com/crochet/content.html?content_id=55&type_id=S.... Would you have a peek and translate?!

Spookyrumours - do you have another project lined up?

FaintingGoat Sun 07-Oct-12 00:08:17

No probs Tobermory - I have the purple one, it's lovely smile

I've looked at your link and it's immediately obvious that they are using US terms, as they mention single crochet. There is no single crochet in UK terms. Uk-style, these instructions are for trebles. Basically, just change the word double and put treble in it's place - or just work with US terms, the stitch is exactly the same.

If it helps, think of each stitch as starting from the top and working down. A treble (or double in US terms) is as tall as three chain stitches, so you need to do three chain stitches to bring your hook up to the right height. If you tried to do the normal stitch without the 3 ch at the start of the row, your work would be all bunched up. The 3ch counts as your first stitch, so if your work is ten stitches wide, you'd do 3ch and then 9x proper stitches.

Is there anything in particular that you;re stuck on?

SpookyRumours Sun 07-Oct-12 07:07:00

Yes tobermory another bag grin

SoupDragon Sun 07-Oct-12 08:22:39

1) Join Ravelry
2) Find the Attic24 blog
3) Come find the Team Hooker thread

smile

pinxminx Sun 07-Oct-12 10:04:10

Yes join ravelry!

Tobermory Sun 07-Oct-12 16:35:35

Oooh blogs!
I started off at Attic24 and the followed a few links. Wow so many creative people making some wonderful things. So lots of inspiration and a great big list of things I want to make!
Like this

Think I've cracked treble and my DDs dolly has a new blanket.
I'm going to have a play with something else I thin.
And join ravelry
!

Seabright Mon 08-Oct-12 15:42:16

The "Le Monde Du Sucrette" blog is excellent too, although she had a baby about three weeks ago, so don't expect tons of posts at the moment. Her poncho pattern is excellent for beginners, I have only been crocheting a couple of months and am making my second one at the mo, as a Christmas pressie.

She's Lebanese and English isn't her first language, but she's pretty fluent. She often gives patterns in English, US, French & graphic formats.

MeanAndMeaslyMiddleAges Thu 11-Oct-12 22:02:57

Bob Wilson on YouTube is very good! Pinterest is also a source of great inspiration / free patterns.

nickeldaisical Sat 13-Oct-12 12:29:19

be careful of UK and US stitches in patterns.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now