Talk

Advanced search

Sewing machines...

(14 Posts)
Badvoc Fri 05-Oct-12 23:23:26

Dh has offered to get me a sewing machine for my b day.
I have never used one before but am keen to learn and would like to make simple things for the house...tablecloths/curtains/bed covers etc
Any tips or ones to avoid?

MrsTwinks Fri 05-Oct-12 23:29:57

i have this model http://www.johnlewis.com/231405816/Product.aspx and its working fine for me doing simple bits.

bramblina Fri 05-Oct-12 23:31:37

Not really any tips as such. Dh bought me mine years ago as a surprise so I obviously had no chance of influencing which one....he bought me a Brother which is great. It has adjustable length of stitch, adjustable width of stitch and came with a few different presser feet for denim, one sided etc. What I'm trying to say is it's really basic and absolutely does the job. I have made dresses, curtains, replaced zips in jeans and have no complaints. Also got a free service as there was a problem they found with a batch though it didn't affect mine, the Brother service was very good.
I would definitely buy the same one again, it sounds like your stitching intentions are about the same as mine, and I have managed perfectly well so far.
HTH

DameFannyGallopsAtaGhost Fri 05-Oct-12 23:35:30

If you want to do curtains though, you need one that's specifically heavy duty enough - otherwise you'll get slipping and breaking all over the place.

If you're near a john Lewis go in and ask for some demos?

Badvoc Sat 06-Oct-12 13:36:01

Hi all.
Been to John Lewis today and dh has bought me a basic singer one!
Thanks for the advice...

SoupDragon Sat 06-Oct-12 13:47:13

My basic Singer served me well for a good few years. I've just upgraded it to a Janome a it needed a repair that would have been more than it cos me.

Badvoc Sat 06-Oct-12 13:48:07

It's lovely!
Very small and compact and can sew denim, curtain material etc
Am excited!

DameFannyGallopsAtaGhost Sat 06-Oct-12 14:32:39

Oh hurrah! Now you need to find overmydeadbody's blog for fab and easy ideas :-)

Badvoc Sat 06-Oct-12 15:27:09

Ohhh...wmdo I find that?

DameFannyGallopsAtaGhost Sat 06-Oct-12 15:28:59

I can't remember what it's called, but if you click on enough arts and crafts threads you'll usually find a link to it :-)

SoupDragon Sat 06-Oct-12 16:20:15

I think it's So Resourceful. It's not all sewing so don't be put off by the grout cleaning!

Badvoc Sat 06-Oct-12 18:18:54

I think my first project will be an Xmas tablecloth and napkins smile

wfrances Sun 07-Oct-12 16:32:08

which one did you buy ,can you link to it?
i need one too,

Badvoc Sun 07-Oct-12 20:19:31

Can't do links (dense) but its the singer 8280. It was £100.
It wil do everything in want and is nice and compact.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now