Talk

Advanced search

Which needles and yarn do I need to buy? Total beginner.

(10 Posts)
melodyangel Fri 05-Oct-12 14:23:43

Ok so I want to learn to knit. There is a one day taster session running at the local comminity centre but it says to bring neddles and yarn but I have no idea what I am doing. Is there a certain type of neddle and yarn I should start with? I asked at the local shop but the lady just said she was too busy to help.

Thank you in advance for any help it really is very gratefully recieved.

thehamburglar Fri 05-Oct-12 14:49:13

Hi, you need to pick your yarn and then look on the label and it will tell you what size needle to use. Most beginners start with a nice chunky yarn (which you can knit up quickly to something like a scarf). In my local wool shop, all the yarns are split into sections according to size, so look for chunky or super chunky and then look for your needles. HTH, I'm no expert!

Watching with interest. I want to knit too and am totally baffled by it.

DP is going to teach me the basics (his granny taught him grin ) but hes not sure about needles etc either!

PurplePidjin Fri 05-Oct-12 15:01:12

The most common wool "weight" is Double Knit, for which you need 4mm needles. Buy a big ball of cheap acrylic for a couple of quid and don't be scared to make mistakes smile

TheWoollybacksWife Fri 05-Oct-12 15:08:29

I bought chunky wool and needles for my DD when she learnt to knit. She could see each individual stitch and they were easy to count. Something like Sirdar Big Softie would be good although there are cheaper yarns out there. This yarn is knitted with big needles 8mm or 10mm are typical sizes.

Double knitting yarns are knitted on 4mm needles typically.

There are loads of videos on YouTube for beginner knitters.

Jins Fri 05-Oct-12 15:11:53

I'd go for a smooth but firm double knit and 4mm or even 4.5mm needles to start. If you get a light colour you can see you stitches better. Don't get the longest needles you can find.

I find chunky wool and needles a bit cumbersome for learners

Theas18 Fri 05-Oct-12 15:59:50

I would by nicer yarn that 99p shop acrylic.... if it's really not nice stuff to feel and work with you wont want to continue!

I'd suggest wood/bamboo needles rather than metal- metal is very slippy and you have to grip everything to stop it falling off , which isn't nice either.

I'd suggest an aran or chunky and a small project like a hat. After knitting a square or a dishcloth or 2 (dischcloth cotton for that).

Don't what ever you do try a scarf- so long and depressing especially if your technique is improving all the time- you are constantly looking at howun even things were to start with!

There are nice acrylic yarns - like stylecraft special dk - and I think acrylic can be easier to learn with, as it is less likely to split, in ,y experience. Deramores are selling the stylecraft yarn at £1.99 for 100g - plenty of nice colours.

melodyangel Fri 05-Oct-12 17:07:48

Wow came home to so many lovely messages!

Thank you everyone. I'll head out again next week with a list of all your suggestions and have a good look around. Can't wait to get started.

TirednessKills Sat 06-Oct-12 13:48:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now