Talk

Advanced search

Xmas crafts that any old idiot (me) could make for the school fair. Any ideas?

(5 Posts)
Jojay Tue 02-Oct-12 13:04:50

I thought I could probably manage some xmas tree decorations made out of felt - xmas trees, stockings, snowmen etc, but that's about as far as I've got.

Any other ideas? Or anything so easy the kids could make it, but it still looks vaguely decent so that people might pay a pound or two for it.

Thank you smile

nipitinthebud Tue 02-Oct-12 13:41:33

Christmas Crafting in no time by Clare Youngs has some brilliant relatively simple ideas. I've made twig reindeers (bits of twig stuck together with superglue with a little ribbon tied round its neck.

Gift-wrapped soap. Buy a multipack of soap, wrap in plain paper (brown, white, red whatever) and then cut out an inch small strip of some fancy paper and wrap that round, tie with silver string with a little sprig of something (pine needles?) or small beads.

Kirstie Allsopp's thing she did with the modelling clay? White modelling clay (she used diferent colours, but more pricey) roll out, cut out hearts, stars, etc using cookie cutters and stamp 'JOY' or 'NOEL' or whatever into the clay using metal letter stampers (can get them on ebay or hobbycraft). Put a hole in the top and when dry thread some festive ribbon through.

Something I've done was get some beads and some thin wire and make round shapes or hearts, and use those as tree decs. Or even buy some feathers or whatever. I love felt decs though too. The Clare Young book has some lovely ideas for felt decs.

Christmas cards in a pack and matching gift cards. Even wrapping paper. (plain paper, make a festive stamp and stamp the paper). Simple card designs, like a glitter tree - just use a pritt stick to zig zag a shape of a tree/triangle and then sprinkle over some glitter. Get stamp for inner saying Happy Christmas for inside.

nipitinthebud Tue 02-Oct-12 13:44:55

Just one more....Christmas card holders - length of ribbon, wooden clothes pegs, stick on pom poms, or cut out felt shapes, or cut out tin foil shapes?

Jojay Tue 02-Oct-12 19:44:34

Thank you, some fab ideas here. I might try and order that book from the library.

Thanks again x

Try Craftgawker website, & Martha Stewart - she has lovely felt wine bottle covers. Sew them first & then cut out

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now