Talk

Advanced search

Total beginner at knitting... WHY is it wavy?

(14 Posts)
IBlameThePenguins Sun 30-Sep-12 14:45:03

Hello,

I have never ventured on to this part of the board before, but just wondering if any of you crafty types could help...

I can usually knit quite neatly (IF someone casts on for me!) Today I have just learnt to cast on, using a book, and a youtube vid, but each time I try the second and third rows it is looking all bumpy and wavy... Does anyone know why thus might be? I have started and unravelled 4 times now... I'm a couple more attempts away from hurling it accross the room! Grrrrr!

IBlameThePenguins Sun 30-Sep-12 14:45:26

And thank you in advance! smile

iklboo Sun 30-Sep-12 14:49:19

Are you knitting rib rows first? You've got to do a few rows of knit one, purl one to give you a sound 'base' to sit the rest of your knitting on (like cuffs on sleeves etc).

IBlameThePenguins Sun 30-Sep-12 15:44:18

Ooooh, i'm not actually sure. I just started doing a basic stitch (the only kind I know!)... Am off to look up how to knit one purl one on youtube. Thank you!

millymae Sun 30-Sep-12 16:05:46

Could it be something to do with the way you are casting on. I use 2 needles to cast on rather than my thumb and a needle and once there are 2 stitches on the lefthand needle I poke the right needle between stitch 1 and 2, wrap the wool around the point that sticks out, pull the loop through onto the left needle to make the third stitch then repeat between stitch 2 and 3, 3 and 4 and so on until you get the required number of stitches on your left hand needle. Done this way it seems to make no difference whether you knit or purl the next row. It always seems to give a nice firm edge.

iklboo Sun 30-Sep-12 16:05:55

No worries. But be warned - rib is BORING!!! grin

The first few rows can often lok a bit wonky IME then it evens out a bit as your work gets longer. But, if you are doing garter stitch - knit every row, you don't get a flat smooth result, it will be kind of bumpy both sides.

garter stitch

stocking stitch

Stocking stitch looks flat and smooth, it's one row of knit, one row of purl, one row of knit, one row of purl, etc.

waitandseepudding Sun 30-Sep-12 16:10:57

Well done for getting this far, it's not easy without rl help!

I wonder if you are knitting rib and have accidentally got moss stitch by getting the knits and purls on subsequent rows mixed up. That would leave you with 'bumps' rather than the vertical ridges you get with rib.

If you have cast on an odd number of stitches, start each row with a knit, then purl and so on across the row.

if you've an even number, start the first row knit, then purl (repeat those stitches to the end) then on the second row start with a purl then a knit. Keep alternating these rows.
I used to do this all the time now I realise moss st is pretty! smile <unhelpful>
I'm not sure that makes sense?

Take a photo. Much easier to run diagnostics on an image! smile

IBlameThePenguins Sun 30-Sep-12 16:33:53

Thank you for all of the help. I have just pulled it all apart . Am going to start again, keep going for a bit, and then try and post a pic.

I have been casting on using my finger and a needle. Will see if I can leeann the other way!

Thanks again everyone! smile

Youcanringmybell Sun 30-Sep-12 17:27:35

well done penguins...it is something that comes with practise and once you get it you will love it!! Keep at it...most people I know have given up and I want to shake them!

I'm jealous of you having a project. I have 2 things I want to knit and haven't got the right needles for one or the right yarn for the other, despite my enormous stashes of both. <grump>

IBlameThePenguins Sun 30-Sep-12 19:49:08

Well, i've persevered, and it's looking much healthie I think the problem was that I was making it a bit too loose, so it was getting kind of loopy, if that makes sense!?

I have had the same ball of wool and needles sat doing nothing in my living room since last Christmas. I am 15 weeks pg, and have found a beginners pattern for bootees... I have 25 weeks to crack it, and am determined not to give up!

I am quite sure that i'll be back with more wobbles between now and then! Thank you so much for all of your help and encouragement!

iklboo Sun 30-Sep-12 19:55:06

I use the two needle cast on method as well. It definitely gives you a neater edge.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now