Talk

Advanced search

Unravelling some knitting - help

(7 Posts)
janx Sun 30-Sep-12 10:13:11

I started knitting a jumper for my son and never finished it. It will be too small now, so I would like to try and use the wool for something else. I am a novice and don't know the best way to do this? Can you buy something to wind the wool onto - thanks

overthemill Sun 30-Sep-12 10:43:15

you can probably buy something but i would simply a) wind it it onto a piece of card (like from a cereal packet) or b) wind it into loose-ish balls. How long ago did you start the project? If it was years you may want to steam it to get rid of crinkles.

janx Sun 30-Sep-12 11:21:42

It was 4 years agoblush.... How would I steam it? Thanks

overthemill Sun 30-Sep-12 11:28:24

haha, then probably worth steaming! I would loosely wind around a coat hanger, hang that over the back of a cupboard door over your boiling kettle (as safely as you can!) - or in the bathroom when running a bath or shower?

i bet you could youtube it?

SoupDragon Sun 30-Sep-12 13:41:08

I have very fond memories of doing this as a child with my grandmother.

I've done it recently and wound it round the legs of a child's chair. Once I had it all wound round, I took the skein off and held it stretched between two wooden spoons over a lidless kettle. The steam from the boiling water relaxes all the kinks out.

You can then wind it into a ball.

janx Sun 30-Sep-12 16:36:27

Thanks - better get that kettle boiling grin

FaintingGoat Sun 30-Sep-12 22:58:25

Um, to be honest, I'd leave it knitted up until you want to use it. Then, when you are knitting with it, just undo the cast-off, and pull out a couple of metres at a time, and knit it. That way it stays neat and un-tangled, and you save yourself an awful lot of boring winding. I don't think it would matter if it was crinkly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now