Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone got any experience of Decoupage?

(7 Posts)
Kashmiracle Mon 24-Sep-12 18:27:48

Hi,
I've only ever done small decoupage projects, like a photo frame, little box etc, where I used PVA glue on a sanded wooden surface.

I really want to decoupage my son's old pine desk with comic strips, and I need some advice. Is it possible to have something more hardwearing than PVA that won't discolour over time (such as varnish)?

Or does it depend on the type of varnish used?

Any advice/help would be welcomed!

Thanks. smile

daisybtw Mon 24-Sep-12 19:39:16

I'd go for a spray varnish like Winsor & Newton Craft Varnish. Use PVA to stick the comic strips and after it's dry spray a couple of layers on top...OR Plaka spray varnish is really shiny if you fancy that?! I think most hardware stores stock it.

TalTangerine Mon 24-Sep-12 20:37:30

I did a bedside table with decoupage with pva and when I put a cup of tea down on it it melted it! I think you're right with the varnish! I hope it's enough.

Xnedra Tue 25-Sep-12 11:12:44

Decopatch glue (or mod podge, suposed to be good but I've not tried it) then a varnish. Helps keep the colours nice and vibrant.

Kashmiracle Tue 25-Sep-12 12:19:24

Thanks everyone.

Glad I found you- you're a mine of information!!

I was going to paint the desk originally, but I think that's a bit boring.

Going to think about what comics to use now. Maybe The Beno, or Captain America. Something slightly retro in any case.

smile

QueenMaeve Sat 29-Sep-12 00:42:52

I just use plain clear varnish over any I decoupage. Own brand stuff will do. I did these drawers most recently but have done a few items this way.
Comics would be cool to use.

Kashmiracle Mon 01-Oct-12 11:47:35

QueenMaeve That's exactly the sort of thing I'm going for. I was going to just use blue spray, but now I'm rather enamoured with the decoupage thing.

Girft wrap is definitely the best idea, as there's nothing on the back. I need to find some that will work.

Thanks- your drawers look fab! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now