Talk

Advanced search

I am learning to sew - what can I make?

(22 Posts)
Grockle Mon 24-Sep-12 13:16:10

I have dug out my sewing machine but all I can make so far is drawstring bags (and one of those carrier bag holders). What else can I make that might be useful or pretty but not too complicated?

nickeldaisical Mon 24-Sep-12 13:17:18

other things that are similar, purses, pencil cases etc.

try to practise putting in zips. smile

overmydeadbody Mon 24-Sep-12 17:13:25

draft excluders would be good

cushion covers

fabric bread basket

reusable fabric snack sacks

lovely shoulder bag Not as hard as you might think

TheWoollybacksWife Mon 24-Sep-12 17:18:32

What about an apron? Or some table mats and a table runner - if you get Christmas fabric you can kill two birds with one stone and ponce up your Christmas. On the same theme you could make Santa sacks.

lisad123 Mon 24-Sep-12 17:19:54

Oh I need a drawstring bag for dd1 trip, how do you make one?

Japple Mon 24-Sep-12 17:32:58

Oh,Pot-holders are Soo EZ! Buy some batting,not too thick,plus fabric to match
Your kitchen.Cut up your Squares at least 1- inch beyond the finished product.
Sew the batting(like basteing) to 1-side.Right sides together;sew up 3 sides
Using a regular stitch.Trim the seam..Pull it right side out, and either machine sew or hand sew the 4th side.I hand sew this using Invisible stitches.Straighten
out all corners ( using a thicker needle);Steam iron pot holder.Jill.

nickeldaisical Mon 24-Sep-12 17:33:52

ooh, yes, santa sacks or Christmas Stockings - very easy to do!

neolara Mon 24-Sep-12 17:36:32

Applique a t-shirt for your dcs.

Japple Mon 24-Sep-12 17:37:10

Now-to get a little more Complex. After you sew the batting on,Using a longer
stitch,run stitching Diagonally across All Squares.Figure about a 1-inch width.
Finish as usual.This is for the "Quilt"look.Jill

Camelsshouldnteatcrisps Mon 24-Sep-12 20:21:23

Simplicity is a make of patterns, your could try one of their easy skirts, or the have a crafty section.

There is also 101 things to make with a metre, that comes with patterns too.

simplicity thier instructions are really good too.

headfairy Mon 24-Sep-12 20:27:19

Overmydeadbody Oh I love those bread baskets... I might try one for my sister. Do I need to buy upholstery grade fabric or would normal cotton - the type you'd use to make a dress from - be ok?

overmydeadbody Mon 24-Sep-12 20:49:07

Thank you headfairy

I recon normal fabric would be fine, you can always line it with interfacing and even add somethgin thicker inside like some wadding.

Grockle Mon 24-Sep-12 21:07:12

Ooo, thank you. What a lot of great suggestions.

I need a bread basket and a table runner but never thought of making them! Stocking is a good plan too.

LisaD, I used this tutorial to learn then changed the sizes for different bags.

Grockle Mon 24-Sep-12 21:22:51

OMDB, I'm going to get a shower curtain tomorrow and make snack bags this week. I've been really unwell with mobility problems but sewing is a lovely thing I can manage if I have a few minutes with enough energy. Thank you for the siggestions (and your blog is fab - I used it a couple of years ago to reupholster by office chair grin )

overmydeadbody Mon 24-Sep-12 23:00:07

Thank you crockle, glad I could be of help!

Let me know how you get on with the snack sacks, do you have a plastic foot? If not you can cover your metal foot with masking tape.

GoldPlatedNineDoors Mon 24-Sep-12 23:02:53

Pinterest usually has some good inspiration and links to patterns.

Grockle Tue 25-Sep-12 08:24:24

No plastic foot so thanks for the tip. Will report back (but it might take me a while)

Grockle Tue 25-Sep-12 08:45:40

OMDB - how do you baste the vinyl to the fabric?

Grockle Tue 25-Sep-12 08:45:57

And yes, Pinterest is fab

Grockle Sun 30-Sep-12 21:20:14

OMDB, I made the snack bags! They're brilliant, thank you. I posted a picture on facebook & a link to your instructions... hope that was ok. Will remove if not but people were impressed. Thank you for all your help.

Scuttlebutter Mon 01-Oct-12 22:06:46

I'd recommend taking a look on Sew Mama Sew - it's a wonderful website which has lots of nice tutorials for making things, not just clothes. Cushions are very easy, tablecloths, runners, place mats, napkins, (all great for Christmas), tote bags, tissue holders, drawstring bags, little zipped make up purse, pretty apron, peg bag, oven glove, etc etc.

PInterest is brilliant for ideas, and I also like the Moda Bake Shop. At this time of the year, if you google things like Hand Sewn Christmas presents you'll get masses of ideas, and there are some really cool blogs out there too, with great instructions and loads of pics to make things easy to follow.

Grockle Tue 02-Oct-12 21:47:14

Thanks so much scuttle. Great suggestions. I've made a soft cover for the handles on my crutches today. I need to work out how to make a pouch for my wheelchair. I'm really enjoying learning to sew.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now