Talk

Advanced search

Patchwork Quilt with DCs' old clothes - woolly stuff too or am I mad?

(10 Posts)
flubba Sun 16-Sep-12 08:44:02

So have saved lots of my kiddies' old clothes to make into a quilt thing for me to sob into when they no longer want to cuddle me all day them. Thing is I also have a few woolly things which I'd like to include, but not sure if I'm being crazy to do so?

I thought I could back those pieces with a soft interfacing to help them retain their shape and help them not fray.

Expert (or any really!) advice appreciated. smile

GobblersKnob Sun 16-Sep-12 08:47:50

I think it's a lovely idea and one that I am thinking about doing too smile

flubba Sun 16-Sep-12 09:10:05

Thanks Gobblers. Charming name by the way ;) grin

Snog Sun 16-Sep-12 09:21:11

Think about washability as well as keeping shape/size. Perhaps the wooly things would work better on a small project like a cushion cover?

Patchwork tends to work best with all 100% cotton prewashed fabric of similar weight.

It's a gorgeous idea and I'm sure it will be treasured. IF you are sentimental about the kids clothes you could do a digital media project which was based on patchworking photos. Pic collage on ipad is an example of an easy way to do this. This helps to avoid the trap I fall into of collecting stash for years for future projects and cluttering up all the space in my tiny home!!

flubba Sun 16-Sep-12 18:59:50

Thanks snog. The woolly things are more cottony knit things rather than wool, so could still be washed at 40 for example.

I'll see if I have enough material without the knitted stuff, and if not, I'll either add some 'new' material, or risk it [nervous but excited emoticon] grin

flubba Wed 26-Sep-12 16:22:05

Well I did it! Jumpers and all and I love it! smile Here it is

Snog Wed 26-Sep-12 21:16:51

Wow flubba, that is super awesome!!! Thanks for sharing, now I want to do one too!
Snog xxx

thewhistler Wed 26-Sep-12 21:32:59

It's lovely.

Some of the most beautiful antique crazy quilts I've seen have silk, velvet, cotton, linen, tweed, all the household's cloth. Ok, so needs dry cleaning, but..

TodaysAGoodDay Wed 26-Sep-12 21:50:10

Woolly things are fine to use, I'm in the middle of making a quilt from DS's baby stuff. Just sew the woolly things down well onto plain (white is a good idea) cotton, and I mean well . If you have a machine you could freestyle sew all over it to the cotton, that way when the quilt is washed or dried it won't stretch or shrink. Good luck, it's a fantastic thing to do.

And that's beautiful by the way Flubba smile

flubba Thu 27-Sep-12 09:43:19

Thank you smile And don't get me wrong, I know it's wonky and wobbly, but that's a bit like me so it's okay smile

I added soft woven interfacing to the back of the woolly bits which seems to have worked well too. I haven't (yet?) quilted over the, ahem, squares but may well do it if and when I wash it. All three DCs snuggled under it last night and looked very cosy smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now