Talk

Advanced search

Where can I buy heavy cotton fabric?

(14 Posts)
littlecupcake Thu 26-Jul-12 15:51:37

I've bought myself a sewing machine, had a go at making the bag in the Cath Kidston 'Sew' book and would like to have a go at some other bags, but without the CK price for the fabric! I live in Berkshire and haberdashery shops seem to be limited, so can anyone recommend anywhere that I can buy some heavier fabric (Cath Kidston calls it cotton duck) in some nice bold patterns and colours, and at reasonable prices? I'm a bit wary of buying online because I cant feel the thickness of the fabric, so what should I be looking for in the description so that I can avoid some of the flimsy fabrics that are beautiful but more suited to dressmaking?

Many thanks!

PS any links to great tutorials or blogs for ideas and inspiration would be great smile

Boggler Thu 26-Jul-12 15:54:07

Try John Lewis they have loads of fabrics available by the metre, I'm sure you would be able to find some heavy cotton in their range of curtain fabrics.

littlecupcake Thu 26-Jul-12 20:45:35

Thanks, Boggler, I will have a look smile

Showtime Thu 26-Jul-12 22:41:10

Cotton fabric called "sailcloth" is heavy-duty, comes in plain colours and available from yacht-chandlers (to make smock-tops) if you have one nearby.

CardiCorgi Fri 27-Jul-12 09:33:59

IKEA, if there is one near you.

There are some free tutorials on U-handbag, plus lots of useful supplies.

Boggler Sat 28-Jul-12 20:03:28

Dunelm has a good selection of fabrics including some heavyweight cottons. Post a picture of the finished bag I'd live to see how it turns out.

Runningblue Sat 28-Jul-12 20:20:10

Another vote for ikea- lovely quality, cool patterns. And cheap!

littlecupcake Sun 29-Jul-12 23:06:13

Haven't checked in over the weekend. No Ikea near us (yet - they've got planning permission though :D ) but we're down the road from Dunelm Mill. Will take a look, thanks. Will post photo of bag when it's done. Thanks all.

coffeeinbed Mon 06-Aug-12 13:01:40

I think Cath Kidston do mail order.
Have you tried them?

coffeeinbed Mon 06-Aug-12 13:02:44

Oh sorry.
They do have some in the sales as well.
blush

varafnxw Wed 10-Apr-13 19:53:29

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

superfluouscurves Wed 10-Apr-13 20:14:59

on dh's phone Blackberry thing so hope this works ...

Norfolk textiles

superfluouscurves Wed 10-Apr-13 20:27:11

oh no, that's oil cloth - not the same thing is it?

Maybe here instead?

calico laine

Have also bought from Ian Mankin before now but a bit ££££££££££

bran Mon 15-Apr-13 22:42:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now