Talk

Advanced search

Where would I look to find a patten to make this dress?

(42 Posts)
KatyMac Wed 19-Oct-11 20:12:20

here

I'm guessing it's lycra

I can sew - but I'm a bit basic so I could 'create' or substantially alter a patten

Thanks

KatyMac Wed 19-Oct-11 20:42:25

bump

KatyMac Wed 19-Oct-11 21:40:50

would this work in Lycra?

KatyMac Wed 19-Oct-11 21:47:54

or this one?

KatyMac Wed 19-Oct-11 21:49:15

or this one?

KatyMac Wed 19-Oct-11 21:51:29

or this one?

I think I am pitching above my ability

KatyMac Wed 19-Oct-11 22:52:57

bumpity bump

Before I go to bed

HippyHippopotamus Thu 20-Oct-11 08:05:10

is it that you particularly want to make a dress? if not, then i'd seriously consider ordering the dress on your first link!

but in answer to your questions

link 1: possibly
link 2: definitely won't work in lycra (too many panels)
link 3: best one so far but you'll have to tweak the pattern a bit (otherwise it'll be too big)
link 4: are you planning on making it as a top and skirt or as a dress? the top for this is already in a stretch so it would be possible to extend it and make it into a dress.

are you able to buy some cheap lyrcra? if you are then I'd go for link 3 and try it

hth

KatyMac Thu 20-Oct-11 08:14:03

If I do the skirt she will wear a leotard as a top and just attach it; that's her current 'dress' we designed/made it's on my profile

The third one is my favourite - but with the godet maybe in a gauzey/chiffony material with some glitz on

It's half-term so I might be able to get some time off & we can do it together DD is quite good & I'm OKish

KatyMac Thu 20-Oct-11 08:17:43

What size is extra small?

She likes this & this

But I'm not paying that!! & it's not red & I'm not even sure they go!!!

Blasted child

IDontDoIroning Thu 20-Oct-11 08:34:46

I've had a go at making dance dresses for Latin and freestyle ( basic outfits) and have used American/ Canadian ice skate/ dance outfit patterns with longer skirts. Try having a look at the Kwik sew web site (patterns available in uk via a company called habithat) and Jalie ( which come up small so do a size bigger) also there is an American seller on eBay who sells 2 panelled dance dress patterns (search latin/ ballroom patterns). Also look on eBay as discontinued patterns come up again mainly US and Canada, but you get some in Australia. Obv you have to take shipping into account.
I was also recommended a book called (i think) Sewing sport and action wear by Kirsten martensen which I found great when I started totally from scratch.
Also have a look on The Sewing Forum as it had a sub board on dance although it's mainly ballet tutus you can pick up info on patterns and fabric / trimming suppliers.

IDontDoIroning Thu 20-Oct-11 08:45:09

I've read the rest of the thread, I've spent ages on google researching pattern conversion to Lycra fabrics. I was told to look for pattern for stretch knit fabrics and go down one or 2 sizes depending on how snig a fit was required, as unless you buy a leotard pattern there will be no allowance for the stretch and fit. I think it's harder for patterns that are designed for non stretch fabrics.
Take a look at this site http://www.lagassa.com/gowns/stepbystep.html
Also search this eBay item no 300348330961, they also do a halter dress pattern.

IDontDoIroning Thu 20-Oct-11 08:48:33

http://www.lagassa.com/gowns/stepbystep.html

thefirstMrsDeVeerie Thu 20-Oct-11 08:52:57

If you are going to be doing this a lot and for some time, I would second buying a good book. A lot come with patterns now and it would save you an awful lot of money.

I dont know if I have missed it - is there a reason you cant buy the dress because it may cost you more to make it.

Soz if I am being thick grin

MumblingAndBloodyRagDoll Thu 20-Oct-11 08:57:38

Look on www.craftster.org where there are tonnes of tutorials and patterns....go to the clothing section...

KatyMac Thu 20-Oct-11 09:05:51

The dress we want is black, DD was insisting on red & has now changed her mind for goldy/bronze hmm

HippyHippopotamus Thu 20-Oct-11 09:22:21

sorry, i thought you were wanting to make a copy of the original dress

the organza you linked to isn't a very floaty fabric, especially if it has embroidery on it

KatyMac Thu 20-Oct-11 09:51:58

Good I can tell DD that; I think her expectations & my abilities are very different

<sigh>

I feel a bit daft really; all I said was I'd buy her a cheap dress, now I have a major project with book buying and altering patterns and hassle

HippyHippopotamus Thu 20-Oct-11 11:12:01

does it have to be in lycra?

what was she wanting the organza for?

tell us exactly what you're trying to achieve and i'm sure between us we'll be able to point you in the right direction!

KatyMac Thu 20-Oct-11 11:40:27

She wants a 'proper' ballroom dancing dress

She is wearing her old one on my profile I think (green & black)

She likes the style of the dress in my first post but not the colour ideally red; I think I'd rather buy but I will make if I have to

She needs it by Friday next week.....so I don't have very long

She may have to wear her old one - it needs to be a fitted bodice and a very full skirt this might work

KatyMac Thu 20-Oct-11 12:08:39

organza for godets

babyicebean Thu 20-Oct-11 12:22:21

http://www.dancesportimage.com/ there is a section on dance dresses

http://www.dance-forums.com/showthread.php?t=14812 may have some help in here

HippyHippopotamus Thu 20-Oct-11 12:50:57

i'd say steer clear of lycra and make the dress you just linked to out of satin. this means you will only have to alter the pattern to fit your dd instead of pretty much redrafting the whole pattern for lycra.

i really don't think organza would work for the godets, it would be too stiff. chiffon would be better

KatyMac Thu 20-Oct-11 12:55:12

Right

Then it won't work as it be sort of fitted clingy & move

OK - re-think

KatyMac Thu 20-Oct-11 17:19:21

So I need a pattern in a fabric which is already stretchy I guess

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now