Talk

Advanced search

How to customise this coat?

(9 Posts)
MyNameIsInigoMontoya Tue 18-Oct-11 12:47:50

Not sure if this is the right place to post this but I'm sure someone here will have ideas!

DD needs a new Winter coat, but it would only be a few months before she could go into the next size (it would be quite big on her now though). But we have a still-quite-good chocolate duffle coat from DS in her current size that she has been wearing as a stopgap and actually looks rather sweet in!

So I am tempted to just keep her in the duffle and save buying one until she gets to the next size. Only thing is it is very obviously meant as a boy's one - badges with red and navy planes on, and a very dull beige hood lining - and DD is often just in jeans anyway so I thought it would be nice to make it just a little bit more girly or at least less obviously meant-for-a-boy (though I've actually nothing against dark colours and planes for girls myself, used to want to be a pilot when I was small grin).

So I was wondering about customising it a bit, maybe covering up the very boyish badges with something else. Also I thought changing the hood lining would also make a difference to the overall look as it is quite visible (she doesn't often wear the hood). I'm not sure my sewing skills are up to actually replacing or fully covering up the lining though, as I am quite new to all this!

Any suggestions for how to do this/what to use/where to get it from? I am not normally very crafty so haven't got that much idea what would be best. Thank you!

SeamStitch Tue 18-Oct-11 15:03:08

Why not make some ruffle flowers like these to glue gun/sew over the plane patches, they are seriuosly easy to make. You can do any colour,fabric and size. Then you could bin the hood and buy a cheap but cheerful woolly hat for her and sew on a matching ruffle flower and they would look like co-ordinating accessories. You could even attach on onto a hairband for her like this.

SeamStitch Tue 18-Oct-11 15:11:34

Sorry, I've just re-read it and I think I thought the hood was removable hence my suggestion to bin it, but I guess if its attached then thats a bit trickier!

SeveredHeadsDragonTheFloor Tue 18-Oct-11 18:36:05

Can you get the patches off?

MyNameIsInigoMontoya Wed 19-Oct-11 00:15:33

Oh the flowers look rather fun if they aren't too hard to make!

Can't remove the hood though, it is very much attached. She has a very sweet woolly hat already too (hmm wonder if I could do something to match that...)

Severed I could take the patches off but I think it would probably leave some marks as they are sewn on very tightly. So would probably have to put something over where they were either way.

SoupDragon Wed 19-Oct-11 07:52:29

Yes, they probably would leave marks but if you are covering them up, it will look better if the original patches aren't there. IYSWIM!

SeamStitch Wed 19-Oct-11 13:04:37

Have a look at this tutorial for how to make a ruffle flower, this a quite a simple one with just one type of fabric and a button. They make it as a brooch but you could easily attach it onto a coat.

sewing.craftgossip.com/tutorial-ruffled-flower-brooch-with-button-center/2010/03/23/

You could do one big-ish ruffle flower on the front of the coat and then, having taken off the old patches, sew on patches of the matching material, with a shabby chic messy hand stitch on the edges, a bit like on this bag.

Here

Then the patches and the ruffle flower would match. It could look quite cool. You wouldn't need much fabric either, just get a fat quarter of something funky.

MyNameIsInigoMontoya Wed 19-Oct-11 15:30:28

Oh I like that idea Seam! Now I just need a bit of time to get out and find some nice fabric. DD had the coat on again today as it's freezing, definitely can't be bothered to buy a new one as it does look good and fits well!

SeamStitch Wed 19-Oct-11 16:39:44

If you can't get out for fabric just order a cheap off cut on ebay like this

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now