Talk

Advanced search

Face Painting at a church craft fair - do I need 'public liability'?

(8 Posts)
FlubbaBubba Sat 15-Oct-11 19:32:17

In the next month, I'm not trained, I'm using 'snazaroo' paints and hadn't thought about this, but sister today said I needed to get public liability insurance. Is this necessary or can I do a 'at your own risk' type note? confused

Really hope it's the latter...

PopcornMouse Mon 17-Oct-11 15:53:40

I would ask the church fair, the organisers may have insurance that covers all participants?

MaryBS Mon 17-Oct-11 15:54:50

Interesting question because AFAIK we don't! Similarly for the bouncy castle!

NotJustClassic Mon 17-Oct-11 15:58:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Flubba Mon 17-Oct-11 16:54:03

I did ask but they said I wouldn't be covered. Trying to look into it as it's not something I'm planning on doing professionally, and the idea of the face painting is to make me some money for this one-off, not lose money! Cheapest I can find is about £50, but with the table (only £10), that's over 40 faces I'd have to do to make any money (thinking of charging £1.50 a face). May not be worth it sad

Daisy1986 Tue 18-Oct-11 20:53:38

I used to work as a facepainer at a seaside childrens amusement park I dont think this is going to be worth your time and expenses. With a steady que of customers and being very experienced we could only manage to do about 15 faces an hour per person. And that is with people helping to change your water etc and it was our job day in day out.

I helped out for free at an event whilst at University and I only painted 4 faces in the whole 2 hours I was there. You also have to take health and safety into account, you need to have a system for changing water and cleaning sponges regularly, mustn't paint anyones face under the age of 3 as there immune system is still developing and are most likely to have allergic reactions.

By all means go ahead, you might like to have some other things on display for instant sale like temporary tattoos. Put some on a mirror with a number, house the rest of that design in an envelope with the same number makes them easier to find, a small sponge in water takes less then 10 seconds to do and is often prefered by a wider age range. #1.50 is also quite a low amount go for #2 - #2.50

MaryBS Thu 20-Oct-11 07:30:33

Perhaps the problem is that you're doing it for yourself rather than the church. If the church bought your face paints and you did it to raise funds for the church, would you then be covered under their insurance??? It just doesn't seem worth it otherwise, particularly if you're not doing it professionally!

Flubba Thu 20-Oct-11 07:38:13

No, it wouldn't be covered either way. I've pulled out of it now. sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now