Talk

Advanced search

tutorial on how to finish stuff neatly? (sewing beginner)

(8 Posts)
LowLevelStabbing Fri 14-Oct-11 20:53:03

I can't figure out how to get a neat finish on stuff that you sew inside out then turn it all out through a little hole and sew up. Does that make sense?

Say, for example a stuffed toy that you stuff then sew up the last bit.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a tutorial or book please?

Swerving Sat 15-Oct-11 08:39:18

Could it be to do with the seams? They need to be snipped with scissors so that the stitch line is smooth, especially if theres lots of curves. Always press your sewn lines too before you turn it right way out.

On the little hole thats left I do a running stitch to use as a guide to follow when closing it up. This is helpful on a curve as it stops it distorting.

LatteLady Sat 15-Oct-11 16:48:48

As I understand it, you are talking about the final step, over-sewing the seam?

Right, couple of basics, firstly think about where it is least likely to be seen, eg the crotch or the inside seam of a leg and make sure that the hole is as small as you can make it. Now when you sew it up, make sure that the thread measures from your finger tips to your elbow (approx 18"), use the finest needle that will go through the fabric, then fold the seams in and do a little back stitch on the inner side of the seam. You are now going to use a hemming stitch to join the seams together, try to make your stitched as small as possible, same size and equally spaced - on this tutorial, this lady is making them big so you can see what to do.

The more you practice with hand sewing the better it gets... honest!

FlubbaBubba Sat 15-Oct-11 19:26:49

I think you might mean a 'ladder stitch' - (great tutorial here which has helped me recently). I use it if I'm doing a cushion cover or something, and have sewed up three sides fully (while inside out), then a bit of the fourth side, turn rightway round and then 'ladder' stitch them together as it's totally invisible.

LowLevelStabbing Sun 16-Oct-11 09:44:45

Thanks everyone, this is all really helpful. I'm learning as I go along and can't always understand what instructions in books are getting at!

FlubbaBubba Sun 16-Oct-11 09:55:58

I'm with you on that. Google and then youtube is your friend on this one - that's how I do it! smile

LowLevelStabbing Sun 16-Oct-11 10:25:55

yeah, but I didn't know what it was called to search for! "how to sew up the last bit" wasn't yielding great google results! grin

FlubbaBubba Sun 16-Oct-11 18:23:52

grin

I googled 'wobbly jelly' the other day and got some very odd results, so goodness knows what you got with your search!! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now