Talk

Advanced search

What sewing machine for dd1 at Christmas?

(7 Posts)
Northernlurker Fri 14-Oct-11 18:35:47

DD1 is 13, 14 in April and is very in to sewing and textiles. After doing the costumes for her school play she asked for a sewing machine for CHristmas.

I have put the inlaws on standby to chip in so budget not too much of an issue.

So what's a good, easily controllable machine that will last her a few years?

We got the dds one of the mini John Lewis ones a couple of years ago and it's proved to have been well worth it.

RubberDuck Fri 14-Oct-11 18:48:01

One thing I've noticed while going around school tours for secondary is that they all seem to have Janome round here. To be fair, though, I'm not sure if that's because the LEA have a very good deal with the company or if it's because they're good robust machines that can take the abuse of teenagers grin

bruffin Fri 14-Oct-11 19:11:48

John Lewis sewing machines are made by Janome

NK346f2849X127d8bca260 Fri 14-Oct-11 20:53:28

Janome J3 24 is the one i have as does my dd. Great easy to use machine, retails about £189.

LatteLady Sat 15-Oct-11 16:50:15

Would echo the JLP mini machine, a colleague bought one for her daughter who is 13 and she loves it!

lydiathetattooedlady Sat 15-Oct-11 18:47:03

ive just got the janome j3-24 from sewing machines direct for £169 (£20 0ff)with loads of free bits (5 boxes of machine threads, several pairs of shears, bobbins, machine needles)! ordered it on wed got it thursday. my sister has a little john lewis one which is good for alterations and bits but cant hack heavy fabrics. If she's serious about sewing i think you're better to get a good machine that will last x x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now