Talk

Advanced search

Daughter would like a sewing kit for 8th birthday.

(9 Posts)
issynoko Wed 12-Oct-11 17:05:30

Any good starter kits? Or is it best to put one together myself and if so...what is a good list of basic starter stuff? Thanks

joruth Wed 12-Oct-11 18:57:28

hi,
I bought a simple travel kit from Sainsburys as a cheap way to get the basics (about £4.99) then found a nice tin, a pincushion, needlecase and novelty thimble and packed it up in a more appealing way. All the kits aimed at this age looked either too flimsy or too expensive (or both!) for my taste! I added some embroidery threads and canvas as well as a little project to get her started.

happy sewing!

parttimedomesticgoddess Wed 12-Oct-11 18:59:58

Some bits of fabric to go with it are also a good idea, so she has something to sew on. Felt is a great one to start with, but anything would do (would be better if it's not too shiny/slippery etc).
Some buttons to sew onto fabrics are another thing that my DD uses quite a lot.
And a small pair of scissors if there isn't already one.

HauntedLittleLunatic Wed 12-Oct-11 19:03:34

John Lewis do some nice sets if you want something pre-packaged but can be a bit pricey.

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

beesknobblyknees Wed 12-Oct-11 19:21:01

Not quite sewing..but how about including a French knitting doll. They produce the long knitted 'worms' that you can then sew together in rounds to make coasters and things. Used to love that at around that age - still requiring the dexterity of sewing (similar to crochet) and is easy to produce something with a bit of time.

smalltownshame Wed 12-Oct-11 20:06:17

issynoko Thu 13-Oct-11 09:54:53

Wow! Thanks so much this sia ll very useful! I like the idea of getting a pretty box/tin and putting together a little kit myself, with some buttons, jolly thread and scissors as you all suggest. Great help - really appreciate it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now