Talk

Advanced search

Card making essentials advice please

(11 Posts)
VivaLeBeaver Mon 10-Oct-11 17:07:57

DD is really interested in card making. She's bought a couple of magazines in the past and used some of the papers in there and made some quite nice cards.

I wanted to get her some stuff for Xmas. I'm getting her some blank cards, some paper kits and she already has a storage box. Is tehre anything else you can think would be useful for her to have? She's nearly 11 btw so nothing too complicated or too expensive incase she gives up on it all in a bit!

iloveblue Mon 10-Oct-11 22:12:40

Rubber stamps and ink pads
Paper flowers and buttons
Shape punches
Self adhesive gems and pearls
Ribbon
Glue dots - very useful for cardmaking

Good website here that I've used in the past.

HTH

iloveblue Mon 10-Oct-11 22:17:03

Actually acrylic stamps are probably better than rubber stamps - Imaginisce do some lovely ones here, very reasonably priced too and perfect for an 11 yr old.
You just need an acrylic block to mount them on.

VivaLeBeaver Mon 10-Oct-11 22:33:25

Thank you, that's really helpful.

With those acrylic stamps how can you get the stamped picture to be different colours? If you used an ink pad it would all be one colour so can you paint the stamp different colours or does the stamp do an outline and then you colour the picture in?

Dingle Tue 11-Oct-11 07:34:29

I tend to stamp most of my images in a black or brown ink and colour them in afterwards. I use Copic Marker pens now which are rather expensive but a nice set of pencils, watercolour pencils perhaps might be an idea if you feel she would use them.

Depending on what you colour in with will have an impact on the type of ink you can use. eg, you need a "waterproof ink" with watercolours.

You can also buy digital images online and print them off from the PC but depending on the type of colouring medium and the printer sometimes the lines can smudge if not coloured in carefully.

I could reel off a long list of things to buy! LOL I have been papercrafting for 8 years now. I am happy to make you up a little package of die cuts and images if you want just let me know. You take have a look at my blog for some examples of what I have but bear in mind that some of the images are digital and cannot be shared or swapped! x

VivaLeBeaver Tue 11-Oct-11 11:40:08

She's got some watercolour pencils so will tell her to try colouring in some stamps. I've just sorted out a subscription to Quick Cards and she gets some more free stamps for subscribing.

I'm thinking of taking her to a big crafts show at teh NEC at the beginning of Nov, looks like a fun day out.

Dingle it would be lovely if you could make her up some die cuts to see how she gets on with them (I had to google to see what they are). I'm happy to pay, let me know how much.

Do you think I ought to get her a paper cutter/guilletine, is that an essential?

DartsANDthefunkypumpkin Tue 11-Oct-11 20:42:54

If you're going to the NEC show at Birmingham, I'm sure you'll get anything crafty. I'm taking dd and her friend (well I did promise her...). I've been going to this show for years.

VivaLeBeaver Tue 11-Oct-11 22:06:01

Does it get really busy at the weekend? Is one day better than the others. I was hoping we'd be able to do one of the demo things at a stand but it was saying places are limited to 10 every hour *(I think this was Sissex) so wasn't sure we'd managed to get a space.

DartsANDthefunkypumpkin Wed 12-Oct-11 20:06:29

The show is busy on all the days. I'll be there on the Sat or Sun, as I'm not taking DD out of school. Sun can be good, as you can find end of show bargains. I've never booked one of the demonstrations, but you can find many of the stall holders doing their own smaller demos to sell their wares.

Dingle Thu 13-Oct-11 11:55:47

Viva, email me your details and I'll start making up a little mixed package for her. smile you can find a link for my email addy on my blog.

VivaLeBeaver Fri 14-Oct-11 17:36:55

I've sent you an email Dingle thanks.

I've just discovered some craft channel on Freeview and have ordered a CD rom and stamp set that looked really good off there. Am going to get her some Spectrum Noir pens for Xmas as well.

winter cheer

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now