Talk

Advanced search

best fabric sites?

(6 Posts)
bellatrixrocks Mon 10-Oct-11 10:41:47

Well, this year is going to be a super economy christmas & I'm making all of my presents!
I'm making purses for all the girls & need some lovely fabric...
I've been looking on ebay and bought some fat quarters & I've looked at fabric rehab - very nice!
before I take a trip to ikea I was just wondering where all you lovely crafty people buy your fabric?

SoylentClean Mon 10-Oct-11 13:10:16

These are the ones I've been looking at

www.seamstar.co.uk
www.frumble.co.uk
www.raystitch.co.uk
backstitch.co.uk
www.modes4u.com
printstopolkadots.co.uk

Also used ebay too. I went to Ikea to have a look a few weeks ago but wan't too impressed with what they have at the moment but it depends what you are looking for.

overmydeadbody Tue 11-Oct-11 07:49:15

Well, if you want very affordable fabric, your best bet is efabrics, I use them all the time and they are very effificent and their cotton fabric is great.

But, if you can actually get yourself to a John Lewis, you might be better off going there, if you are trying to be ecomnomical (fabric is not cheap) and you only need small amounts of fabric to make purses then John Lewis is good because they sell their fabric in incraments of 10cm, most other shops make you buy at least half a metre, and fat quarters are often overpriced on these fancy websites.

MArkets are also good places, and of course don't forget there is loads of lovely fabric in charity shops (disguised as clothes) pretty little girls dresses for example made of lovely fabric that you can cut up to make purses. Men's shirts ar also good sources of fabric cheaply. As are old cutains. I bought two fully lined big curtains from a yard sale recently made of Laura Ashley fabric, I paid £5 and got about 6 metres of the fabric and also 6 metres of lining which is perfect for lining the insideof the bags I make. That was am amazingly economical bargain for that quantitiy of fabric.

LoveBeingAWitch Tue 11-Oct-11 16:01:37

Overmydeadbody funny you should day that about clothes I've just decided to use done if dd's old clothes instead of buying fabric, partly cause I know I won't get much on eBay and then ill be buying more fabric from eBay, just cuts out the middle man grin

bellatrixrocks Mon 17-Oct-11 19:43:04

thats a brilliant idea thanks overmydeadbody!
I'd thought about looking for old curtains in fabric shops but I hadn't thought about looking at the clothes!

grin

sophia32 Mon 17-Oct-11 22:53:33

hi guys,

i recently came across this flickr site: www.flickr.com/photos/amadali/

he has some lovely fabrics, i messaged him to ask where he has his shop/trades. he said he trades at church street market, off edgware road in london - every saturday,

i shall be going this weekend!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now