Talk

Advanced search

Quilting fabric for curtains?

(4 Posts)
JumpJockey Mon 03-Oct-11 09:39:25

DD loves owls, and I googled for owl fabric to make her some curtains and came across a website that has the most beautiful fabrics, but they're meant for quilting/blankets etc. I can't quite get the idea in my head of how big the patterns are, so could anyone who knows about this take a look and see if these patterns would be headache inducing in a curtain size? I'm finding it very hard to imagine a large expanse from just the little pictures on the screen, so maybe someone who is used to working with this sort of material might be able to explain how it might work out. They would have blackout linings, so thickness of fabric wouldn't be an issue hopefully.

cute owl fabric one

cute owl fabric two

cute owl fabric three

thanks

KnottyLocks Mon 03-Oct-11 12:38:26

It is difficult to tell from the website.

The third fabric may be a bit overwhelming because of the dark colour.

If you are worried about the curtains being busy, why not think about having a neutral coloured curtain with a deep border at the bottom in the owl print?

You could see if you could order a 'fat quarter' - a small square of the fabric. It would give you an idea of the pattern size but is big enough to make accessories like a draw string bag so wouldn't go to waste.

KnottyLocks Mon 03-Oct-11 12:44:06

Fabric Rehab have a good reputation and sell owl fabric fat quarters. They also tell you how big the owls are to give you a better idea of scale.

Owl and apple

More owls

Bright owls

JumpJockey Mon 03-Oct-11 15:58:42

Thanks KnottyLocks, will get a sample amd check. Also like the border idea of too much, hadn't thought of that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now