Talk

Advanced search

i want to made a dress for my little girl but....

(12 Posts)
taytotayto Mon 26-Sep-11 14:58:22

i learned to sew in school 20 years ago and i can use a sewing machine but i have no idea how to follow a pattern in the sense that i paid for a pdf file from etsy and when i got it i couldnt print it to scale. does anyone have a pattern i can use that is easy for a beginner to follow and is easy to print off. im dying to make little dresses for my toddler to wear at nursery as im broke from buying clothes that come back covered in paint or marker pens!!! i can get really cheap fabric form our local sunday market but i cant find a pattern i can use. please can someone help me.

sc4rl3t Mon 26-Sep-11 15:28:26

IDK if this would work but could you take the PDF - on a memory stick - to one of those high-street printers like prontaprint and ask them to print it for you to scale, on thin paper - they will have A2 printers. It won't be free but it will be accurate and you won't have wasted the pattern. Also i'm sure the etsy seller would help if you get stuck on the directions. Good luck!

taytotayto Mon 26-Sep-11 15:34:26

sc4 good idea. ill try that next time. its been about 6 months since i got the pdf file and just tried to open it and its saying expired!!!! just my luck. i have seen another pdf file of a dress i like so might try your idea.

GetOutMyPub Mon 26-Sep-11 17:50:25

Oliver and S blog have some free patterns and also useful tutorials for seam finishing and other tricky things.

I bought the Sailboat top and the instructions were pretty straightforward to follow - they were in normal "English" for a start & not tailor speak. I bought from backstitich when it was on a special offer as the patterns are quite pricey.

Also if you go to the sewmamasew blog, and look through the catogories on the top left, for "kids clothes month" "back to school" you will find links to free tutorials on other blogs.

GetOutMyPub Mon 26-Sep-11 17:51:04

sewmamasew

NK346f2849X127d8bca260 Tue 27-Sep-11 09:27:43

Which Etsy sellar to you buy from? i have used Sewsweetpatterns and have had no problems with the printing.

taytotayto Tue 27-Sep-11 12:35:02

i think its the fact i bought it ages ago and i did read when i got it that it would expire at some point. my own fault. ill look up the person you buy from

Pudden Tue 27-Sep-11 12:37:59

Tayto I have a few dress and pinafore patterns I had from when my dd was younger and you are welcome to these. They may be cut out at one size (up loft so will dig out later) but there isn't much in it if they are age 2/3 or 4...only a few mm difference..Pm me with your addy if you would like them

taytotayto Tue 27-Sep-11 16:09:04

pudden thank you so much. i have pm'd you x

NK346f2849X127d8bca260 Tue 27-Sep-11 16:42:02

Another great pattern designer is Scientific seamstress/Sisboom, got mine through Etsy (look on Flickr ) if you want downloadable. Best instructions i have come across and alot of variations on each pattern.

SoylentClean Wed 28-Sep-11 16:08:54

I've just pm'd you too.

taytotayto Thu 29-Sep-11 13:03:47

soylent ive pm'd you x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now