Talk

Advanced search

Want to knit dd a scarf for winter - haven't knitted in 30 years - how do I start?

(7 Posts)
jennymac Wed 21-Sep-11 13:54:20

Just really looking for advice on best type of wool and what size of needles I should get. Can probably learn how to cast on on Youtube but just need advice on the materials really! How much wool would you need for a scarf for a 5yr old??

PopcornMouse Wed 21-Sep-11 16:22:59

You can make a scarf from a single ball of yarn. Start off easy, with some DK yarn and 4mm needles, and Bob's yer auntie grin

jennymac Wed 21-Sep-11 16:26:47

Great thanks - just one question - what is DK yarn? Is that a brand?

NK346f2849X127d8bca260 Wed 21-Sep-11 16:58:07

Dk means double knitting wool, it just describes the thickness of the yarn.
You could also use Aran weight for a scarf for your 5 year old, it will knit up quicker. Sirdar Supersoft aran is good value and has a good choice of colours.

LoveBeingAMummyAgain Wed 21-Sep-11 17:02:39

YouTube is fab for this, I managed to start a scarf using it.

jennymac Thu 22-Sep-11 08:45:49

Great - thanks everyone. Now just have to find a shop in town which sells such stuff...!

Jammyrella Sat 24-Sep-11 07:05:42

Be warned - I won a knit a scarf kit last October. I knitted it up (with a little you tube help!), then bought more wool nd knitted 2 more. Then wanted to knit something more adventurous, so knitted DD a cardigan - see profile pic smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now