Talk

Advanced search

Want to make a wool felt pinafore dress in Boden style

(4 Posts)
bacon Mon 19-Sep-11 16:43:28

IN a wool felt type of fabric and then sew some nice motifs on or a boucle mix.

Saw this nice website for quality wool www.macculloch-wallis.co.uk/Category.aspx/Wools

ANyone made one and what about lining it - as really I'm basic in dress making and cant sew with stretchy fabric.

Is this a simple project as no waist bands? How much fabric are we talking about as I see some of it is £40pm so too pricey.

Is wool felt easy to keep and wash?

starfishmummy Mon 19-Sep-11 17:13:56

Not familiar with the boden one but I can remember my mum making a pinafore dress in a fine woven wool blend many years ago which worked ok. imho lining would be best to reduce bulk at arm and neckhole facings and would prevent the wool fabric stretching round the bum area from sitting in it. But it could make wearing it very hot!
I suspect some of the fabrics you have linked to might be coat fabrics and too thick and warm for a dress and would almost certainly need dry cleaning. You might be better off going to a fabric shop or john Lewis and asking for advice.

bacon Tue 20-Sep-11 13:22:29

Yes agree, I need a wool mix really dont I? I never lined anything (since school) so that puts me off a little.

purplepidjinawoollytangle Wed 21-Sep-11 17:40:58

burdastyle.com has a "toddler jumper" that is what i would call an A line pinafore - it's a free pattern and the instructions are good This is the one I made although I made one for a charity auction and one for sale...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now