Talk

Advanced search

Beginners sewing projects

(15 Posts)

Right so I figured out how the machine worked and tonight I've made a pin cushion. It may not be brilliant but I've bloody made it all by myself smile (DP looking at me like I've lost the plot) what can I make next?!

icapturethecastle Sun 18-Sep-11 21:10:40

A cushion cover, drawstring bags of any size, some bunting.

anniebear Mon 19-Sep-11 10:06:04

lol , i have made a few things (beginner with a capital B!!) and I am so proud of them - but then do rather think they lok like a child has made them!!!!!!

anniebear Mon 19-Sep-11 10:07:32

all hand sewed - I have done a couple of very simple childrens bags, knitted purses and lined with cath Kidston fabric! a knitting bag, again very simple, and am now attempting some padded cath Kidston hanging birds lol

I'm trying to master sewing in a straight line grin but I have loads of ideas of things I want to make (in my head they are amazing!!) so hoping I can master this sewing stuff soon!

anniebear Mon 19-Sep-11 12:21:32

I am sure you will smile I cant even get my mini machine to work lol, so it's still hand sewing for me lol

I looked at a site the other evening and it was about making napkins, they look easy!! and a chance to practise your straight lines ;)

Were the bags difficult? I want to try a bag! Giving pj trousers for DD a go tonight!!

nickelbabe Mon 19-Sep-11 17:05:06

If you want to master sewign in a straight line, then what about doing a couple of simple skirts?

You don't need to worry about the waistband - if you can put a zip in, then use wide ribbon for the waist band (nickelbabe's cheat tip number 6342)
I sew on the ribbon on one side, then fold it over and sew it on to complete it.

Of course, that does assume you can do a zip, which is harder.

what about - a draw string skirt?
you can do one for a child with squares of fabric, and make channels in the top by folding over the top 1 ½ of fabric (leave a gap in the front middle) and sew along the line (½ inch from the edge of the fabric - either make 2 channels ½ inch deep, or one inch-deep channel)
then you can thread cord through the channel and pull.

anniebear Mon 19-Sep-11 21:08:34

no- really easy!!! I sewed 2 pieces of fabric together sewed 3 sides, got some ribbon to go with the material and added it to the sides to nmake a long strap. Made my Daughter a horse patterend one with pony ribbon for the handle, she loves it ! smile have made a few cup cake material ones but not a clue what I am doing with them!!!

purplepidjinawoollytangle Wed 21-Sep-11 17:55:20

Pillowcase dress

Either for a little girl you know or for charity smile

Moodykat Wed 21-Sep-11 18:02:06

Ooh, am watching for inspiration! Could really do with getting into sewing again!

Moodykat Wed 21-Sep-11 20:24:25

And instead I killed the thread! Sorry about that!

Lol!!! That made me giggle! I'm trying to make a stuffed rabbit out of fleece. Not too sure why but it seemed a good idea at the time...

purplepidjinawoollytangle Wed 21-Sep-11 21:49:48

I steer clear of rabbits (apart from the one lolloping around my kitchen) the ears are a pita!!

I had a good pattern for an elephant - the ears went on in one of the head seams so guaranteed to come out in the right place hmm - let me google for a mo...

purplepidjinawoollytangle Wed 21-Sep-11 22:09:37

Here we go!

It's on Burda - sign up if you haven't already there's tons of free patterns grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now