Talk

Advanced search

give me some ideas for hand made christmas gifts

(12 Posts)
taytotayto Sat 17-Sep-11 20:51:28

ive just started sewing again having learned at school 20 years ago. so im no expert but can sew straight lines on a sewing machine lol. anyway to save some money im thinking of making some gifts for the children in the family for christmas. can you gals give me some ideas about what i can sew thats fairly easy. i need to make for 3 babies. one toddler. one 4 year old. one 6 year old and an 8 year old all girls and two boys age 7.

somanymiles Sat 17-Sep-11 22:53:37

Personalised Christmas stockings or refillable advent calendars. They will love them for many years - my kids do!

chirpchirp Sun 18-Sep-11 09:56:07

I'm a big fan of the sock monkey, have made them for friends kids and they loved them. Really easy too.

I'm making dressing up tutu's for the little girls in our family. And not sure about the boys yet! Saw someone's blog and they'd made a sock dragon that looked awesome!!

iloveblue Sun 18-Sep-11 22:11:22

Aprons
Personalised draw-string bags with a book or crayons/colouring book inside
Cushions - again could be personalised and super easy
If the babies are small you could make them comforters - there are pics of ones I made for my twin nephews on my profile, again easy but very effective

I want to make my boys one of these each this year

Some more good ideas here

You've inspired me to get started too.....

chirpchirp Tue 20-Sep-11 20:57:35

Ooh also forgot - I've made these dino hoodies before - might be nice for the 7 year old boys - kirstyneale.typepad.com/gingerandgeorge/2011/03/dino-boys.html

iloveblue Tue 20-Sep-11 21:58:01

Ooh love the dino hoodies chirpchirp - does the felt wash okay?

chirpchirp Tue 20-Sep-11 22:11:29

Yep, just needs a good iron after washing. I made a couple of my 10month DS and whenever he wears it out we always get compliments on it. A group of Japanese tourists stopped us once and asked if they could all have their photo taken with "dino baby"! ha ha

Tizwozliz Fri 23-Sep-11 13:37:03

Sock monkeys as someone else said are very straightforward, I've made sock elephants and giraffes before too.

Sock giraffe tutorial

Sock elephant tutorial

Soft fabric blocks are very easy, and fabric baby books.

ivykaty44 Fri 23-Sep-11 13:38:46

Put together frog bean bag sewing kits for the older dc, cut the frog shapes out for them in bright colourful materail and put in the needles and thread to sew them with and the beans to fill - along with clear instructions.

GetOutMyPub Fri 23-Sep-11 16:04:44

crayon roll

taytotayto Sat 24-Sep-11 21:32:35

thank you all so much for all the inspiration. i cant wait to get started x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now