Talk

Advanced search

What are your favourite sewing blogs and books?

(10 Posts)
peggyblackett Fri 16-Sep-11 20:18:58

I've just started sewing and already I am hooked grin.

Please can you tell me your favourite sewing books and blogs, so that I can get inspired?

SybilBeddows Fri 16-Sep-11 20:23:13

well my favourite kind of sewing is patchwork quilts at the moment. There is a truly amazing quilt blog Crazymomquilts by an American woman who makes incredible numbers of quilts.

I buy Kaffe Fassett books and spend hours looking at the pictures, and also am into books about the history of quilting.

What have you started sewing PeggyBlackett? (good name btw. I like Peggy. She is too often overshadowed by her more dominant sister.)

peggyblackett Fri 16-Sep-11 20:33:01

Only just started Sybil. I am actually going to <whispers> sewing school.

My mum is a fantastic seamstress, but I resisted all of her efforts to teach me as a child, which of course I am now kicking myself over.

Jusr starting to look through CMQ. I wish I could trade a pile of veg for a lush quilt. I want crazymom to be my friend grin.

Yes yes, peggy has been in the background for far too long. Viva Peggy!

SybilBeddows Fri 16-Sep-11 20:36:04

I was thinking about what would have happened to them all in the war and decided Peggy would probably have been in the WRNS and done rather well.

Is sewing school an evening class? Or something more serious?

peggyblackett Fri 16-Sep-11 21:40:21

I really have to read Swallows and Amazons again, it's complete escapism. I am counting down the days until I can teach ds to dinghy sail (I also dream of having a clinker builty dinghy one day blush).

Sewing school is an evening class -but there's only two of us in the class, which means that we get heaps of attention. Just as well as I am worse than useless.

MmeLindor. Fri 16-Sep-11 21:48:01

I don't sew, but I follow OMDB's blog - So Resourceful

MmeLindor. Fri 16-Sep-11 21:48:31

Oh, and have a look at the blogger topic, there are tons of sewing and crafts blogs.

twolittledarlings Sun 18-Sep-11 22:27:28

Tone Finnanger books are very inspirational. Looks easy to do.

LatteLady Mon 19-Sep-11 13:54:06

Peggy - what sort of things do you want to make? Are we talking dressmaking, quilts or....

You are very welcome to take a look at the tutorials on my blog which has a number of sewing tutorial and will have more as we run up to Christmas.

peggyblackett Mon 19-Sep-11 22:18:01

Thanks for the updates. I saw the Tone Finnegar books in Waterstones at the weekend, I think I may have to treat myself grin.

LL - in the first instance I want easy projects so that I don't lose faith and give up. I was thinking of tree decorations, lavender hearts, christmas stockings, however I'm open to ideas!

I love the rag wreath on your blog, I will have to have a go at that smile.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now