Talk

Advanced search

need a pattern for a childs apron

(10 Posts)
taytotayto Thu 15-Sep-11 21:06:00

im thinking of making some childrens aprons as presents for christmas but im strggling to find a basic pattern that a novice can use. can some kind person help me please x

dizzyday07 Thu 15-Sep-11 21:13:47

here you go

stealthsquiggle Fri 16-Sep-11 12:38:52

I was just about to ask the same question - I am planning to make aprons for DD's cooking party. That one is lovely, and I guess I could use the shape (which is all I really need) but has anyone seen a simpler one, as I am afraid I am not going to make 20 fully lined aprons with elasticated neck straps - it would double the fabric cost and also I just plain don't have time (although the lack of finishing raw edges implied in lining them is, I have to admit, tempting)

antshouse Fri 16-Sep-11 13:03:29

I made one at primary school, many eons ago, using a tea towel, folding 2 corners back and stitching in place and adding something like bias binding for the neck and waist ties.

Could you could adapt that style and add a pouch pocket or trimmings to make it more attractive.

stealthsquiggle Fri 16-Sep-11 14:58:33

I think I will just go with the shape - I have red and white butcher-style fabric and cotton tape for binding / straps so really I just need to bite the bullet and make a couple to see how it goes. I was planning on putting a patch pocket with their names on - on the basis that I can make and hem pockets but not attach them, then paint on names and attach pockets as/when I have answers to invitations. I am currently complicating the whole challenge by trying to keep them a surprise from DD. That may change.

OP - aprons as Christmas presents is a good idea. If I get into the swing of apron making and am not slitting my wrists by the time I have done 20, I may pinch that idea - I/you could get a rolling pin / whisk / cooking book to put in the pocket to complete the present, maybe?

taytotayto Fri 16-Sep-11 21:29:22

great idea stealthsquiggle didnt think of that. god your good making 20 im stuggling to motivate myslef to make 7 !!!!

dizzyday07 Sat 17-Sep-11 01:00:05

this one uses bias tape to edge the armholes plus creat the neck and waist ties. (She uses a tea towel in the tutorial but does give sizes if using fabric instead)

taytotayto Sat 17-Sep-11 20:05:39

dizzy i thought the first one was easy but your one is even easier. thanks somuch girls. x

stealthsquiggle Sun 18-Sep-11 20:06:12

that second one is more or less what I am doing - but with fabric so all the edges need binding [sigh] - currently 3 down, 17 to go (plus random extra DC and adult helper-guests)

HippyHippopotamus Fri 07-Oct-11 08:56:53

How did you get on? I'm thinking of making some for christmas too!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now