Advanced search

Yarn over/yarn round needle/yarn forward ?

(3 Posts)
skillsspace Thu 15-Sep-11 14:03:07


Have only been knitting a little while and am already completely addicted. However I keep coming across these terms and wondered what the difference is meant to be - as far as I can see they all have the same they mean the same thing?

PopcornMouse Fri 16-Sep-11 14:58:17

YO is a dual-meaning catch-all american phrase.
Yfw is a specific type of YO, where you wrap the yarn forwards around your needle (hence the name). afaik the phrase only used in UK & EU (possibly British Canada too??)
Yrn is also a type of YO - it's less common as it's usually used on a purl row to create a YO between to purls. Again the phrase only used in UK and EU & poss canada.

So, basically, they all mean the same thing, but in the UK we differentiate between the type of YOs, whereas American patterns don't.


skillsspace Fri 16-Sep-11 17:18:41

Thanks Popcorn - that's great, and means I haven't done anything drastically wrong yet!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now