Talk

Advanced search

sewing machine recommendations...

(6 Posts)
lydiathetattooedlady Wed 14-Sep-11 20:17:00

i have posted before about advice for sewing machines but i am still stuck as to what one to get.

What sewing machine do you use? I'd like one for occasional use, need to make curtains for the house, would like to make some bits for the kids. I dont plan on using it all the time but would like it to be able to do button holes so something more than just hemming!

So...recommend me your sewing machine please!!

MyMaisyMouse Wed 14-Sep-11 22:34:23

I've just bought this Toyota and I can't recommend it enough, it great. They do a cheaper version too here

I use mine for occasional things too, have just recently made a pair of curtains, lined for winter. Often hem DHs trousers and fix DDs clothes, sew in name tags etc. Its a great machine, has an automatic needle threader which I love, does a 4-stage button hole, lots of different stitches, more than I;ll ever need actually.

The thing i love about it best though is the ergonomic shape, made it easier to handle something like curtains where a lot of fabric is an issue.

Parietal Wed 14-Sep-11 22:37:30

If you can afford it, Bernina. The mechanical one not the fancy computer embroidery one. My mums is still going strong after 40 yrs.

dodo29 Wed 14-Sep-11 22:58:25

I second the vote for Bernina - I recently bought a Bernina 830 Record from ebay, and it's a great machine. I'm only a beginner at sewing, but I find it easy to use and they have a reputation for being really reliable, robust work-horses.

PopcornMouse Fri 16-Sep-11 15:31:23

I'm a medium user with a small (for sewing machines) budget and I love my DC3050 from John Lewis.
www.johnlewis.com/231340611/Product.aspx

emsyj Fri 16-Sep-11 15:32:41

I've got the Janome DC3050 too and it's great.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now