Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone have a Janome SL30X (from Costco)?

(20 Posts)
Deux Wed 14-Sep-11 18:19:27

I saw this on sale at Costco recently, c£203 inc VAT.

I have a very old (20 yrs) machine which although it works does need quite a lot of input from me regarding tension. Also, I can't drop the feed dogs.

I am looking to trade up and saw this model and thought it ticked all the boxes for me and has some innovations I didn't realise existed. I had no idea you could have a sewing machine that could be operated without the foot pedal

Are all Janome feet compatible with all machines? I'd like to get a walking foot as so far I've done my top quilting by hand.

I don't do anything really fancy, but do like to quilt and the like.

Any feedback gratefully received.

HenriettaFarthingay Mon 19-Sep-11 10:44:58

I've spotted this at Costco too at just under £174. I'd be interested in any feedback too.

Deux Mon 19-Sep-11 13:41:38

It's on special offer from today for 4 weeks or so. I went to buy one last week but then noticed the offer from this week.

I'm going to buy one this week and will feed back. <excited>

I couldn't find much info about this model and I wonder if it is a completely new model or one that is being manufactured just for Costco. A company I used to work for manufactured models just for Costco becasue of the volumes involved.

I'm sure it won't disappoint. Got to be a big improvement on my museum-piece. smile

HenriettaFarthingay Mon 19-Sep-11 14:26:31

Thanks for your input Deux. I can't buy till pay day next week, so would be interested to hear what you have to say about it. By the way, the best I could find out about it was this link

Looks like a good deal!

Kalsha Sat 24-Sep-11 18:24:34

Has anyone bought this? Even I am thinking of getting it. My 32 year old Pfaff is dying on me. If it is computerised, does it mean that a lot of things could go wrong? Is it easy to master? Anyone who had bought it, any feedback welcome! Thanks

Fizzylemonade Sun 25-Sep-11 19:35:26

The best thing about Costco is their guarantee. So find out what it is for the sewing machine. They are great about taking stuff back too.

Our flat screen TV from Costco was just over a year old when the on/off switch went. We rang Costco (you get the American helpline) they send someone out to you. They follow it up with progress reports and when it is fixed they ring you to ask how you found the company they employed to fix it.

We got a 5 year guarantee for our TV for FREE! We shop at Costco every week, cannot fault it.

stealthsquiggle Mon 26-Sep-11 22:31:55

I had a quick look the other day - it looks good. I have a different Janome and love it very much indeed, so assuming it is made to the same quality I would think it would be a good buy.

Deux Tue 27-Sep-11 20:16:00

Hi all. I have just bought one but not had a chance to crank it up yet. smile.

I've gone through the instruction manual and that's all so far.

I am very excited. But want to savour it when the DCs are out/DH takes them out to the park or something. DD will just want to get involved and DS will want to know how it works <sigh>. smile

I love Costco too. Haven't been disappointed with anything yet. They have a lovely scrap booking set too. Not really my thing but every time I go there I have a look at it and think 'hmm'.

I will update when I've had a go.

HenriettaFarthingay Thu 29-Sep-11 08:52:58

Hi Deux - I'm just about to pop along to my local Costco and hopefully pick one up, so thought I'd check back on this thread. 

Looks like we'll be comparing stories!

HenriettaFarthingay Thu 29-Sep-11 17:40:49

Have got it home and unpacked - will have a go after dinner.

Deux Thu 29-Sep-11 20:24:59

Hi. I'm hoping to have a go tonight too. Managed to get the DCs in bed. Let's compare notes. I got a lovely craft book from the library and there's something in there I hope to make as my First Janome Project. smile

HenriettaFarthingay Sat 01-Oct-11 10:17:45

Well I'm on my second project with this machine. And it pretty much does what it says on the tin! First item was a fairly fine cord and it stitched like a dream. The second item (and this is one of the reasons I went for this machine) is a pretty thick fabric, and again, it just went off, did its stuff, and came out the other end without any problems.

I have to admit, I popped into my sewing room very briefly on the way to bed last night just to look at it again. I am very very pleased indeed with this machine.

Deux Sun 02-Oct-11 16:02:37

Hi. I am deeply envious of your sewing room. smile I would love a sewing room/my own little den.

I managed to get the machine threaded and played around with the different stitches. I haven't made anything yet but when I was practising I found a piece of glittery ribbon that came off a birthday cake. I folded it in half and seamed it really close to the edge. It was incredibly easy. I would have really struggled with my old machine to do that.

I am really thrilled with this purchase. Can't wait to get cracking on my projects.

fizzynix Wed 05-Oct-11 16:47:43

I also saw this machine in Costco and bought one. I'm replacing a 10 yr old Janome which has been excellent, and the basic features are similar enough to make it an easy conversion. Only had a chance to do a few stitches so far and it seems great - very straightforward panel of controls, and the needle threader is brilliant. It's also quiet and the speed control from "tortoise to bunny" works brilliantly too.
My gripe is the packaging is a little misleading because when you look on the side of the box at the 102 stitch functions, look carefully for those that have an asterisk by them! You will need to buy an accessory to do all the stitches marked * In my case it's to do a rolled hem, and although I've phoned Janome to order the necessary part, they don't as yet recognise this machine model - possibly because it's so new, but I am a bit alarmed.
If anyone can enlighten me on the part needed I'd be really grateful. Thanks.

Kalsha Thu 06-Oct-11 13:52:29

The offer on this machine finishes this weekend. All the people who have bought it, what do you think of it? I can't find much on it on the internet. Does it do a lot of fancy stitches - embroidery type? any other info appreciated before I rush to buy it. Thanks.

Deux Thu 06-Oct-11 22:58:51

fizzy, given the limited distribution this machine is in I really think this is a model that has been made exclusively for Costco, so possibly Janome UK won't be that familiar with it.

I noticed the instruction manual only referred to the UK, Canada and the US, Costco's heartland. Having said all that the guarantee registration card is sent to Janome UK in Stockport.

Is it a foot that you are looking for? From what I can gather Janome feet fall into 2 groups and it depends on whether the machine has a (newer) top-feed bobin or a front-loading one.

I am going to buy some feet so I'm assuming that the fit is universal for all top-feed bobin machines. It does seem that you can get some universal fit feet that are not Janome brand, so cheaper, but these will only fit the front load bobin machines.

Have you tried www.jaycotts.co.uk? I recently got one of their catalogues <swoon> and they carry a big range of Janome feet.

Kalsha I haven't tried the embroidery stitches yet but it does have 7 or 8 decorative stitches. It has Shell Tucking, 4 Satin Stitches (am reading manual!) - one looks like a fancy zigzag, one a symmetrical leaf, one a wavy leaf and one a crescent shape. It has an Applique stitch which looks like blanket stitch and a Patchwork stitch which looks kind of like herringbone stitch.

Deux Thu 06-Oct-11 23:02:21

Kalsha - I meant to say that I am really pleased with this machine but for me it is a massive trade-up on my previous one. It is very quiet. I really like the speed control slider that Fizzy mentioned. It means that when you use the foot pedal the machine will go no faster than what it's been set to on the slider. I feel I have much more control over my sewing with this machine.

fizzynix Sat 08-Oct-11 09:09:08

Hi All ...... Firstly thanks Deux for the suggestion to try Jaycotts - I love that you swoon looking at their catalogue, they have also sent me the same little catalogue and I'm now swooning alongside you! The selection of stuff in there is excellent and would recommend getting one, I now know which feet to buy.
I also contacted Janome's US facebook page, and they gave some great advice too. It seems that as long as the machine has Janome written on the front of it, it's a proper Janome (the SL3OX does have it). These are the only Janomes that dealers will work with ....I don't understand why Janome would allow machines to be made using their image yet not be completely recognised, it seems like a recipe for disaster to me?
Anyway, have used it a lot more and absolutely LOVE it! Another interesting feature is, if you don't plug the foot-pedal in, you just work with the on/off and slider controls - no tootsies! It took a little getting used to but can say it's really brilliant, and this method may be very helpful for someone who has not taken up machine-sewing because they are wheelchair-bound etc. A fantastic machine, so YES, YES, YES - get to Costco quick before the price goes back up. x

Deux Sat 08-Oct-11 11:18:14

Hi. We can swoon together. smile I've gone through the catalogue and circled everything I fancied but will have to prioritise considerably though (walking foot).

It's good you got some answers from Janome. Have you managed to get the foot you need? I found some great you tube vids on using different types of feet on your Janome. smile I haven't tried the 'feet-free- sewing but crikey what a good point about someone with mobility issues using a sewing machine.

Just as an aside, I used to work for a company that supplied Costco and they would supply huge volumes of electric toothbrushes to Costco, give them a slight tweak even just say the packaging or supplying 3 brushes in one blister pack. It was a way of differentiating the product compared to what was available on the high street. It stopped the high street retailers moaning that Costco was undercutting them on price as the product was slightly different.

I'm hoping to do some sewing tonight as I have a new quilt to start <excited>.

fizzynix Sat 08-Oct-11 23:15:44

Hi Deux,
Not got my foot just yet but hope to correct that situation on Monday. I've only recently discovered that there is a Jaycott's here in Chester, so I'll pop down to get a closer look before buying, though thanks for letting me know about the UTube vids, I'll definately have a look on there too (How did we manage without UTube? It's just the most useful thing.)

Oh, and yes, I can see how you've had to rationalise your circlings - so much temptation!

Hope your quilt is going well!
x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now