i bought my lovely bernina last year, successfully sewed a few things on it and then had a baby. i think my brain has turned to blamonge because for the life of me i can't get it to work.
what's happening is the lower (bobbin) thread doesn't seem to be working properly. the top thread is catching it but somehow the lower thread isn't pulling out well and is either making huge amounts of thread pile up on the back of the fabric or it's not catching the top thread at all.
i've quadruple checked it's loading, and whether the bobbin is going clockwise. i can't see where the tension setting for the bobbin is, but i've got the main tension dial on the factory setting.
You are supposed to use a new needle for every project
Is it an old or new model?
I have an ancient model - she is quite particular (as one gets with age) and does not like cheap thread or certain brands so I tend to stick to Guttermans.
Also it might be worth your while, taken out all the bobbin holder bits (shuttle I think the technical term is) and then putting them back in. I used to store my 'nina in the same cupboard as the hoover & I found that I was always having to do this as the case would get knocked when I was getting out/putting away the hoover & that would knock the bobbin shuttle out of place, ever so slightly but enough to cause problems.
thanks very much all! i'd better buy a few needles.
it's a new bernina (well, bought last year so a year old).
i have solved it.
there were two problems 1. the fundamental one was that i hadn't threaded the needle thread properly through the tension loop thingy. despite insisting that i had and having read the manual 7 times. 2. the bobbin case spring was too tight and my mil (who has an ancient bernina) explained how to get it right. none of the info she gave me was in the manual so quite how you're was supposed to fix this, who knows...
but i can now forge ahead with making my cot bumpers with fake hand-quilting stitch
so thanks very much to all of you for taking time to answer me.