Talk

Advanced search

Running a sewing group at primary school

(4 Posts)
NK346f2849X127d8bca260 Fri 09-Sep-11 17:25:39

I have offered to do this!

I think i will have largely a free reign on this, but headteacher has suggested 8 pupils and she will get another mum to help.

DD who is 7 is already very creative and can sew quite well , so i have experience of teaching, but eight!

Small school, so i guess mixed age group, what age range do you think would be best?

Any project ideas ?

Thanks

LatteLady Fri 09-Sep-11 17:41:15

How about a simple pencil case, using a felt square... divide into three, fold up one third, and blanket stitch the sides together, then embroider the flap with flowers (lazy daisy stitch) running stitch and/or back stitch for stems. Cut a hole for the button (no need to do buttonhole stitch as it will not fray) then sew on a pretty little button. Job done!

Are you able to access sewing machines? If yes, then cheat's bunting - cut out the triangles of fabric with pinking shears and sew them onto tape.

Does that help to start you off? Try and aim to have an item that they could finish at their first session... makes parents v happy smile

bigbadbarry Sat 10-Sep-11 09:02:06

My DD went to sewing club in Y2 - I think a pencil case is a bit ambitious TBH, lots of the children will never have held a needle before. They just practised different stitches on binka (oh god that isn't what it is called is it? That stuff with holes in!) to begin with, then used them to make a pattern and produced a binka bookmark. You will probably spend most of the time threading needles.

Littlefish Sat 10-Sep-11 09:46:20

Binka bookmark is a good idea to start with. However, it would be worth checking what they've done before. Our Yr2s used to make bookmarks for Mothers day every year. The first thing you will need to do is teach them how to thread needles and pull the thread through far enough that it doesn't unthread on the first stitch!

How about sewing s few buttons on to a piece of felt as a decoration and then joining two pieces of felt together and stuffing, to make a pin cushion? That way, you're doing something which will develop practical skills (sewing buttons on)' and making something useful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now