Talk

Advanced search

Haberdashers / craft shop in SW London

(14 Posts)
GattoRosso Fri 09-Sep-11 11:05:34

Does anyone had any suggestions for haberdashers or craft shops in the SW London area? So far I've been going to John Lewis, purely out of not having any idea where else to go...

Any ideas? just looking for wool / knitting needles / thread / buttons, that sort of thing.

TIA

Sn0wGoose Fri 09-Sep-11 11:55:55

I don't know if it's SW or not (not a local, sorry!) but when in town I go to Loop in Islington, or iKnitLondon in Waterloo. Fabulous artisan yarns if that's your bag, needles etc - no sewing supplies though x

iskra Fri 09-Sep-11 11:59:03

There's a nice place in Herne Hill, Sharp Works.

GattoRosso Fri 09-Sep-11 12:11:09

Great, thanks! Both easy enough for me to get to (one close to work, on close to home!)

iskra Fri 09-Sep-11 12:14:22

Morleys in Brixton has some stuff too - not great though but if you are in Brixton anyway & need to pick up some thread etc can be useful.

GetOutMyPub Fri 09-Sep-11 16:51:51

Fabricland in Kingston (behind the phoneboxes) cheap as chips!

There is also calico fabrics in Kingston, near the river, they only do fabrics (and expensive)

and Goldhawk Rd just outside Shepherds Bush Market is the best place in London to buy fabrics! A cluster of small shops packed full of fabrics at cheap prices.

There are also quilting shops - Tikki, in Kew and Creative Quilting in Hampton Court

monkeypuzzeltree Mon 12-Sep-11 10:50:18

Elys in Wimbledon sell a small amount of wool, a lot of acrylic tat, but a bit of debbie bliss. They have needles and things, so good if you're desperate. Otherwise, Hobbycraft in Croydon, if you can face purley way! To be honest though, it is just easier to get what you want online, knitting shops seem to have all but gone. Sniff!

GetOutMyPub Mon 12-Sep-11 21:53:09

and there is this fabulous shop near croydon. It sells lots of wool, has many, many ring binders full of knitting patterns as well as lots of quilting fabrics and other sewing/knitting related craft stuff.

ciel74 Mon 26-Sep-11 09:43:36

There's also the Craft Superstore at Tooting Bec - http://www.craftsuperstore.co.uk/. Never been, but I guess the name tells you what it does smile

mightycheeks Sat 01-Oct-11 14:27:01

Fabrics galore on Lavender Hill has a super range of fabrics and sewing related bits.

Gigondas Sat 01-Oct-11 14:37:15

Janes wool store in hampton/teddington (there is a website) a real hidden gem and she is lovely.

Hobbycraft a good standby on net for kid stuff and deliver quickly too.

rockinhippy Mon 03-Oct-11 19:54:01

Sheperdsbush market & Goldhawk road - one of the things I miss most about living in London is poking around the fabric & haberdashery suppliers around there

EldonAve Mon 03-Oct-11 20:01:32

The Tooting Bec place is massive

moggle Wed 05-Oct-11 12:21:19

The tooting bec place is amazing, I used to go there loads when we lived in Balham, still try and get there occasionally. Great choice of yarn, needles, thread, things like Velcro, zips, sewing machine bits & bobs. Massive fabric range inc fleeces, furs, oilcloth, ... Really helpful staff. Only down side is they close at 5.30 every day (shut doors earlier). I have spent hours there and lots of £££!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now