Talk

Advanced search

How to give a very well loved wooden train set a new lease of life

(3 Posts)
yawningbear Thu 08-Sep-11 16:25:53

I have just bought a secondhand wooden train set, it looked lovely in the photos but now that I have it I can see that it is really, really well loved! It is very chipped and I had wanted to give it to DD for her birthday but I feel a bit mean as it does look a little worse for wear though I don't suppose she would really care. I am thinking maybe I could try and re-paint some of the pieces to brighten it up again? Would I need to sand it all down first, and then apply some non toxic paint? I have found a set of acrylic paints on amazon but no idea if they are non toxic. Anyone done anything similar?

DoesItWearingWellies Fri 09-Sep-11 12:40:42

I would give them a light sanding - just enough to rough up the surface.

Acrylic paints are generally non-toxic, except the ones with heavy metal pigments such as cobalt, but they should be labelled quite clearly.

Once they have dried, as long as your DD doesn't chow down on them, there should be no issue at all, and even then, large amounts would usually need to be ingested for them to become toxic.

HTH

yawningbear Sat 10-Sep-11 12:27:05

Thanks DoesItWearingWellies, that does help. Will give it a go with just a couple of bits first though before I start sanding down the lot, there is apparently over 120 pieces so it could take me a while, though am hoping it does work out as am looking forward to seeing DD playing with it smile.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now