Talk

Advanced search

Crochet? Easier or harder than knitting?

(30 Posts)
Empusa Sun 04-Sep-11 20:18:33

I've (sort of) mastered the basics of knitting, but I'm not exactly good at it. DO you think it'd be worth trying to learn to crochet? Or is my ineptitude with knitting a sign I shouldn't bother?

carpwidow Sun 04-Sep-11 20:20:32

I personally find crotchet much, much, easier and quicker. I can knock up a few granny squares much quicker than knitting them. If you google granny squares there are some really good instruction videos on You Tube, but watch out for the USA ones as their terminology is slightly different to UK.

Tota1Xaos Sun 04-Sep-11 20:20:37

I am an inept klutz, and find crocheting a lot easier and quicker than knitting. probably because you just have one implement to worry about.

Empusa Sun 04-Sep-11 20:21:24

Ah, that is reassuring! I'm constantly dropping stitches or losing count with knitting, and my attention wanders as it takes so long!

carpwidow Sun 04-Sep-11 20:22:55

have a look at this This is a nice blog that I found and has some inspirational tips and links smile

Em3978 Sun 04-Sep-11 20:23:45

yes, I'm the same, just can't handle 2 needles, 1 hook is so much easier!

carpwidow Sun 04-Sep-11 20:23:54

If you start with granny squares, you don't need to do any major counting either.

JemimaMuddledUp Sun 04-Sep-11 20:24:00

I find crochet much harder than knitting. I learnt both at roughly the same time (aged about 4 or 5) but have always done far more knitting, which is probably why I find it easier.

Islagiatt Sun 04-Sep-11 20:26:25

Another vote for crochet <thinks proudly of granny square blanket currently hugging DD into blissful slumber>

Have knitted squares for years, but MIL learnt me crochet last year and haven't looked back. I like 'doing something' whilst watching telly and having a glass of wine relaxing in the evening. Although have yet to master two colour squares, but buy wool from charity shops and sit and crochet every night and drinks less wine as more likely to spill whilst holding glass and crochet hooks at same time

purpleknittingmum Sun 04-Sep-11 20:28:11

After being a knitting for so long I have now 'got' crochet, not brilliant, tension is still dodgy but I am doing a huge blanket made up of 140 granny squares

What no-one ever told me is how to hold everything. My knitting 'technique' is I think called 'throw over'. I don't wrap the wool around my fingers, I literally just drop the needle in my right hand, holding the two of them at the sort of cross over point, and use my right and to put the wool over. I couldn't work out how to hold the work, the hook and put the wool over. So, I do a bit of wrapping of the wool around my left hand fingers, use the index finger going up to put the wool round the hook, and sort of hold the work in my left hand

So....if I can do it, anyone can! grin I have a book of little projects I want to work on already!

Niecie Sun 04-Sep-11 20:32:28

Knitting is far easier to me. I took several attempts to learn to crochet over the years until I finally bought some books and really worked at it. Knitting I learnt really easily. I was a child admittedly but the first time I tried crochet I was a child so I don't think it was just a youthful brain that made the difference. I have just found knitting more versatile and I am more likely to dive into a hard project than I am with crochet. My first knitting project was a pair of gloves with a cable pattern on the back. Crocheting I can't do anything more interesting than a few squares or granny stripes.

I think the reason it took so long to learn was because I just didn't get that you count the stitches in the rows and then do a few more when you turn. It didn't make sense to me for a very long time.

bilblio Sun 04-Sep-11 21:01:03

I'm another who thinks crochet is far easier. I can knit, I can even do quite complicated lace things but I have to look at what I'm doing and think!
I can crochet without looking, and if you go wrong you can usually tell pretty quickly (not a couple of rows later) so you don't have to undo loads. You've also only got one stitch on the hook at a time so if a small person grabs your hook it does far less damage than if they grab a knitting needle. smile

I'm also able to make things up as I go along with crochet which I don't think I'll ever manage with knitting.

Another knitting preference here. I only learnt to knit in April, so still think of myself as a novice, and I also use the "throw over " method to wrap the yarn around the needles for the next stitch. It does make controlling the tension more difficult but I am getting there.

Crochet - no, way too hard. I can make a chain as long as you like, after that? No, can't do it!!!

For the record, I am nearly 36!!

DillyTante Mon 05-Sep-11 19:16:50

Crochet is much easier, and much more forgiving...

TimeForCake Mon 05-Sep-11 21:52:17

I am just about to take up crochet too, or at least try to! Have bought some books and will use the Internet as a resource too.

Can anyone help me with buying a crochet hook though?
Do they come in different sizes and if so, what is a good starting size? <clueless emoticon>

carpwidow Mon 05-Sep-11 22:18:07

A 4.00 is ideal with double knitting wool. Have a look at this blog for inspiration here

TimeForCake Mon 05-Sep-11 22:22:49

Thank you carpwidow, that's really helpful. Have saved that website to look at tomorrow. Getting quite excited at the prospect of crocheting!

LollipopViolet Mon 05-Sep-11 22:52:34

I'm trying to learn to crochet. My gran tried teaching me earlier but she goes so fast and with my sight not being great I couldn't keep up. I can't get the hang on the chain stitch, I loop it over OK but when I pull it through I just end up back with a single knot again sad

iceandsliceplease Mon 05-Sep-11 23:51:06

My mum taught me to knit when I was eight or so. I was crap. Knitted a single square, looked awful, gave up, never went back.
For some reason, years later I developed a desire to crochet (I think it is linked to a crochet lace skirt I saw at the age of 14). Bought a book and a set of three crochet hooks. I failed, failed, failed again and again to even chain a sodding chain. Books and videos were no help. Tried The Happy Hooker book and it just clicked.
I am a crap crocheter - I frog more than I create, but I do love the creation of each project.

SoupDragon Tue 06-Sep-11 09:23:18

I repeatedly failed to learn to knit as a child, much to the disappointment of my grandmother who was an avid knitter.

In July this year I taught myself to crochet from a book and haven't looked back.

SoupDragon Tue 06-Sep-11 09:25:48

I used this book

TimeForCake Tue 06-Sep-11 09:31:02

I hadn't realised you had literally only just learnt to crochet Soup! Those bears do not look like a new crocheter's work. I am inspired.

Bettymum Tue 06-Sep-11 09:36:51

I am going to book myself on a beginners crochet course, I can knit knit knit till the cows come home but I can't crochet. My mum did teach me years ago but I didn't practise and now I can't remember what to do. I have the most beautiful book of crocheted flower patterns that I just gaze at sadly and longingly. I want to be a crocheter...will check out some of the links later.

SockMunkee Tue 06-Sep-11 09:42:49

I used You Tube videos and learnt how to crochet earlier this year, its really easy. Flowers are easy to do.

LawrieMarlow Tue 06-Sep-11 09:48:34

I find knitting much easier. Maybe I should try again with crocheting?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now