Talk

Advanced search

Making a patchwork quilt/blanket

(7 Posts)
LilBB Sat 03-Sep-11 20:14:19

I'm pregnant with DC2 which I know is a boy. I already have a dd. I'm sorting through baby clothes this weekend and have thought about keeping some to make a patchwork quilt as a keepsake. Ive done some googling but still none the wiser about what I'm doing. Do I just sow the patches together, get a piece of fabric for the back and fill? That seems too simple. Anyone have any pointers or recommend any good how to sites?

plipplops Sat 03-Sep-11 21:15:48

I don't have anything helpful to add except that I kept all of both my DDs clothes that they wore out/had particularly lovely fabric/nice embroidery and am intending to make a patchwork blanket or pillow from at some point. DD1 just started school though so think I need to get on with it!

woowa Sat 03-Sep-11 21:19:56

lilbb, it is more or less that simple, although you need to put wadding between the front and back pieces, and you need to "quilt" your quilt, which means sewing through all 3 layers at the end to give it that padded look.

It's probably worth buying a book on patchwork and quilting, or goin gon a course because there are loads of different ways to make a quilt in terms of the shapes of the pieces, and in which order to sew them together and which way to iron the seams to get the best look. You also have to be VERY accurate with your cutting and seam allowances to get the pieces together right. And you need to bind the edges of you quilt once it's done.

I'm sure someone helpful could suggest some websites with tutorials on...

LatteLady Sun 04-Sep-11 12:38:59

A quilt is a fabric sandwich with a layer of fabric, wadding as the filling and another layer of fabric.

You need to make your top first and there are many methods of doing this from simple block squares to log cabin, applique and other square patterns. Try to make the bread part of your quilt sandwich from the same type of fabrics ie, all cotton or all fleece.

The simplest method is to use squares, cut out your squares to be the same size, eg 6.5" x 6.5" which gives you the classic seam allowance for quilts of 1/4"... when you iron the seams, don't press them open but press one row in one direction and the next row in the opposite direction so that you do not end up with bulky square seams.

When you have put together enough square blocks, press your backing fabric and lay it on a large flat , lay the wadding on top and then your stitched squares on top. You now need to hold the sandwich together which you do by basting. Double up your thread and make long tacking stitches vertically and then horizontally. You now need to decide how you will hold your sandwich together... you could use a quilting frame and stitch a pattern into the squares either with hand or machine stitching. You could stitch a button or charm to each corner of your squares or use another traditional method of using embroidery thread do a form of tailors marking - start on the top and pop you needle and thread through as if you were doing running stitch but leaving enough tail for you to tie a knot, bring the needle back to the front of the quilt and tie the thread off in a reef knot, repeat this at every corner.

To finish off your quilt, use a wide bias binding around your raw edges, mitering at each corner and sew your sandwich together

Hope that this all makes sense, obviously this is really simplified but it should give you a fighting chance smile

MsPrufrock Tue 06-Sep-11 21:18:13

LilBB- I just wanted to add that I also wanted to make a quilt for my baby, but hadn't sewn or made a quilt before. I did lots of looking online at various tutorials but the thing that really helped me was making a little dolls quilt. From doing this I learnt how to quilt, how to bind, and made a few small mistakes that I didn't mind about because it was only a practice!)

Sn0wGoose Wed 07-Sep-11 11:47:48

Libb There was a pattern for a keepsake quilt in Handmade Living Magazine a while back, issue 3 I think – all cut out old clothes sewn together into a top.

I have this book, amongst others, and find it really helpful:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Compendium-Quiltmaking-Techniques-Susan-Briscoe/dp/1844484041/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1315392412&sr=8-1

Sn0wGoose Wed 07-Sep-11 11:48:33

Meant to say, the magazine's available online: http://www.yudu.com/item/details/353579/Handmade-Living-Issue-3

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now