Talk

Advanced search

Need an idea for a special display book (for newspaper cuttings etc)

(7 Posts)
PontyMython Fri 02-Sep-11 09:46:43

hi all, my parents were in the attic recently and mum discovered something very nostalgic - loads of old history cuttings and that sort of thing. I'd love to get her something to keep them in (or at least photocopies of them as they are in poor condition) maybe as a christmas present.

I was thinking of one of those project book things, DH and I have them for certificates, but all the ones I've found are really boring with plastic covers. I think the cuttings deserve something more special!

So does anyone know where I might find something to slip them into?

If I could, I'd really like to take the cuttings myself and do it in a scrapbook, but I'm not sure I could do that without her knowing.

TheyCallMeMimi Fri 02-Sep-11 14:48:14

Scrapbooking sounds like the way to go. I would photocopy the articles as newsprint won't last. Standard scrapbook albums are 12"x12" although 11"x5" are also available (US version of A4) and 8"x8". You use "page protectors" which are basically thick plastic sleeves with holes punched at the left to fit onto the metal posts, although some brands use D-ring binders. Don't buy a standard UK ring binder as scrapbook stuff is American and they typically use 3-ring binders. Do an internet search - there are UK-based scrapping sites with forums if you want more details.

PontyMython Fri 02-Sep-11 23:28:14

Ok thanks, in that case I'll ask dad to sneak them up here one day so I can use our scanner/printer and then he can take them back the same day. Knowing mum she will forget to do anything with them anyway so it'll be a real surprise! Will browse for ideas smile

kiwijesta Sun 04-Sep-11 07:23:41

Can I suggest that when you do this you use paper that is of archival quality, which means it is acid and lignin free. All scrapbooking paper is acid free btw. This means that it will last (unlike the newsprint). Have fun!smile

PontyMython Sun 04-Sep-11 09:49:11

Thanks I'll remember that smile am madly busy with ebaying housework for the next few days but after that I'll be looking up scrapbooking. Hurrah, I finally have an excuse to do it!

TimeForCake Sun 04-Sep-11 10:34:22

I have just made my first scrapbook as a present for a friend, with lots of photos/memorabilia. I bought my scrapbook in Hobbycraft and found some lovely embellishments to go with. As it was my first attempt, Hobbycraft was really useful as all the resources and pretty things are under one roof! Be warned though, you can spend hours and £££s there! Now I have a bit more of an idea of what to do, I will probably search a bit wider for crafty bits for my next project.
I also got a couple of books from the library for inspiration.
Your project sounds lovely! Good luck with it.

katiem1986 Mon 05-Sep-11 20:43:58

i started scrapbooking through a course at my local childrens centre, ah wow, i was hooked within the first two hour session. iv always felt quite a stressed person but i find scrapbooking so theraputic. i use it as a great way to show off all my georgous son's pictures. its great, so hope u have lots of scrapbooking fun smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now