Talk

Advanced search

Sewing Machine Novice Needs Help.

(7 Posts)
Fo0ffyShmoofer Tue 30-Aug-11 19:10:58

I have only used a sewing machine once in my life. 3rd year textiles for about 4 weeks. Couldnt say how I managed. Probably not very well.

I would really like to learn how to use one. Have done for some time but really have no idea where to start. Has anyone any pointers please on where to start for a complete novice. Should I self teach or lessons? What's a good machine to start on? Any help greatfully received.

Nagoo Wed 31-Aug-11 07:17:54

<waves at foof>

you can get lessons? Off someone not your Nan?

interesting.

overmydeadbody Wed 31-Aug-11 09:17:31

I highly recommend you start off by watching youtube tutorials and experimenting with scraps of fabric or other cheap fabric (old sheets from charity shops are good for this). The internet is full of video tutorials and written tutorials and photo tutorials for just about everything you would need to get started in sewing.

That way you get to go at your own pace, at home, and stop, rewind, watch again, try again without being in a formal lesson setting where the pressure mihg tbe on.

overmydeadbody Wed 31-Aug-11 09:19:59

Best machine to start on would be a relatively simple one, find yourself a second hand one off ebay or gumtree. I have only ever used second hand machines and they have served me very well. I use toyota but I think all the big name machines are good.

babyocho Wed 31-Aug-11 09:27:00

I went to a learn how to use your sewing machine course at a local college (1 day course).

YOu take your own machine, it was really good.

I got one in the sale in John Lewis the previous Christmas, its basic but I dont do anything fancy with it.

Fo0ffyShmoofer Wed 31-Aug-11 09:35:23

Thankyou for that, I'll start having a look around for a machine. I never think of you tube.
Nagoo grin

LatteLady Wed 31-Aug-11 17:40:19

If you can spend some time with someone it is really helpful... whereabouts are you, we might be able to find someone to help you?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now