Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone made a christmas stocking?

(14 Posts)
mimimomma Mon 29-Aug-11 18:49:11

So am keen to share the festive love this year by making some christmas stockings for my family. Has anyone made them, and if so any tips? I don't really know where to start? Maybe buy a cheapie stocking and use it as a template? Thanks, O crafty ones.

Whenisitmysleepytime Mon 29-Aug-11 20:31:29

I've made some for my lot. Need to make one for dd too this Christmas now there are 4 of us! smile

I drew a template on paper and cut it out onto red felt. I used a rectangle of White for the top and did lettering using green felt. Very simple.
I sewed it up with sparkly gold embroidery thread; running stitch to attach letters and sew up the side.
I sewed a loop of ribbon through the back et voila! smile they aren't terribly sturdy but as they only hold stocking fillers for one night only they're fine.

SewCrafty Mon 29-Aug-11 23:17:28

I've made a couple of patchwork and embroidered ones from last yr for a friend that might be still on my profile or should be on my Facebook pg www.Facebook.com/srwcraftyshop. I made up the pattern and used scraps I already had.

SewCrafty Wed 31-Aug-11 19:27:04

Mis-typed my web address. Stocking is now here, hope you can see it.

HipHopOpotomus Wed 31-Aug-11 22:49:46

I made one for dd in the same style my nan made one for me.

Red velvet, cotton print lining. Felt reindeer, Xmas tree etc appliqued on and decorated with sequins and beads.
I need to make another for dd2 now.

GetOutMyPub Sun 04-Sep-11 22:04:58

I used a tutorial I that i found somewhere on the web. Try doing a search in google IMAGES for "christmas stocking tutorial" there are hundreeds to chose from!

marriednotdead Sun 04-Sep-11 22:14:47

I bought a plain cheapie from a market when DD was a baby. They wrote the name of your choice in glitter/glue while you waited. It has become a template for 2 more and she will use the original for the 24th time this year smile

BlueChampagne Tue 06-Sep-11 16:03:41

I cheated a bit and made draw-string bags out of Christmassy fabric for my boys last year. I put their names on with letters cut out of contrasting felt.

Bettymum Tue 06-Sep-11 16:36:31

I made two for my DCs using red and green felt - very cheap to buy by the metre, decorated with ric rac, gingham initials and buttons. I made a template out of newspaper, I just drew a boot shape and played around with it till it looked right, then used this to cut out the pattern for the felt.

Treats Wed 07-Sep-11 13:20:47

I knitted one for my DD last year and am knitting an identical one for my DS-to-be (due 26/11) for this year. If you're on Ravelry it's here

If you're interested, I scanned the pattern in from the calendar so can email it to you if you want to pm me. It's a really lovely pattern and a great knit - it's got cables, fair isle, bobbles, intarsia and it's one of my favourite things I ever knitted smile

taytotayto Sat 17-Sep-11 21:17:23

treats ive sent you a message id love a copy of the pattern if you dont mind x

tb Sun 18-Sep-11 19:59:58

You can get material with the pattern for each side of the stocking. That's what I've used. I got dark sort of holly green cotton, and stitched it onto lightweight wadding in a diamond pattern, and then used that for the lining.

stealthsquiggle Mon 19-Sep-11 09:26:41

I made them for my each of my DC's first Christmasses out of fleece (with felt appliqued names), which stretches well to accomodate awkward shape presents. I can't remember where I got the pattern - I may have googled, or I may have drawn around my stocking which my DM made for me.

I really must make one for DH as he currently has a cheap bought one which is falling apart.

HattiFattner Mon 19-Sep-11 09:38:46

Ive made stockings for the entire family.

youtube instructions

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now