Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Anyone know a book to teach me about using colour?

(3 Posts)
SybilBeddows Sun 28-Aug-11 21:39:31

I have been patchworking for a year or so and don't have an arty background at all but I am really enjoying the creative aspect of it.
I have noticed that the patchworkers I really admire seem to have mostly studied painting at some point and hence have a mastery of colour.

I would like to learn more about colour but haven't a clue where to start; I got a lot out of a Kevin McCloud book on choosing paint colours, but I'm wondering if there's anything less interior-decorating-based, IYSWIM.

thanks!

Jellykat Sun 28-Aug-11 22:11:32

I don't know of any books as such, but i once made a scrap book for DS1, full of pictures from magazines/ postcards of paintings/ material swatches etc.. Mainly as a reference for which colours go together well, and in what proportion...

Magazines like 'Country living' ( nicked from my DM grin ) have good piccys, as do gardening mags - the colours in nature ( birds, flowers ,etc) are good pointers too..

m0nkeynuts Mon 29-Aug-11 10:46:31

What about The Non-Designer's Design Book? It's about design in general but has a good big section on colour (see the "Look Inside" contents page!).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now