Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

applique - any advice or online tutorials you can recommend?

(8 Posts)
Whenisitmysleepytime Thu 25-Aug-11 12:37:07

i want to recycle ds' old stuff for dd. some of it is in need of a little 'girl-i-fying' na di thought this would be a good chance to learn to applique using my ancient sewing machine.

the machine does the zig zag stitch and i think i'll need something like bonda web but other than that i'm completely blank.

can you help me? pleeease! dd keeps getting mistaken for a boy! blush

SewCrafty Thu 25-Aug-11 15:34:19

Can you see this pic? I shortened and appliqued my sons shorts for my daughter. Yes I'd suggest you use bondaweb, you can get it by the meter (or half/qtr) or in small sheets. You can either hand sew the edges if it's too tricky to get the machine into small spaces, machine would be better though.

Go for it, good luck.

CHBitchyIceDragons Thu 25-Aug-11 15:57:31

I would suggest that if you chose to you your machine that you start with large pieces as smaller pieces when applique-ing can be a nightmare even for an experienced machinest. Loads of fun though. Perhaps a test piece before starting on the clothes? Girl cushion cover or something fo dd?

Although something my sis used to do for girlying up which is easier then applique is to apply lace to pockets etc. Quick and simple fix to allow the girlying up but still allowing some applique to be applied in own time. <short of time to get planned projects done and still have 2 pairs of holed trousers that had planned to turn into shorts for the 2nd half of the summer term> blush

Whenisitmysleepytime Thu 25-Aug-11 16:08:09

Sewcrafty that's exactly what i want to do! smile i'm fairly adept with steering the machine as it goes v slow or super fast because of its fairly worn foot pedal. (it was my grandma's machine so it made a lot of clothes for me when i was little!)

CHBID the lace idea sounds good too! i might add some ribbon/ lace to ds' winter coat which is fairly boyish khaki green but with some pink ribbon or lace would be rather fab! smile

must nag dh to get machine out of loft again!

CHBitchyIceDragons Thu 25-Aug-11 18:02:39

Sew crafty you have some lovely original pieces.

Love the appliqued (sp) reversible bag.

SewCrafty Thu 25-Aug-11 20:06:13

Thanks, I make a lot for others, that was just for me!

GetOutMyPub Fri 26-Aug-11 09:41:23

If its t shirts & things, then jersey can be quite difficult to work with. Although I have managed to applique animal shapes onto DS things to cover stains etc.

I did raw edge applique, You use a normal straight stitch & you get finish like you have hand-drawn the stitching.

a few tutorials here, here and here

Whenisitmysleepytime Fri 26-Aug-11 13:03:02

cheers getout those tutorials are gorgeous! i WANT that pillow in the first one!
i was going to work my way up to jersey as i thought the stretchiness would be tricky.

<shouts> dh pleeeeease get my sewing machine out the loft!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now