Talk

Advanced search

Patchwork quilt with different types of material

(4 Posts)
MsPrufrock Wed 24-Aug-11 20:14:06

Hoping someone here can help.

I have a pile of very different pieces of material which were given to me to make a quilt for my daughter. There is some traditional 'quilting' type cotton, but also some silk, some fleece, and some crocheted squares.

I am very happy with the idea of the quilt having a mis-matched look to it - I think that will be part of its charm! But I'm less certain about how to patchwork together materials of such different types.... does anyone have any ideas?

I was wondering about applique-ing on the much thicker fabrics to the back in some way? Or maybe keeping the crocheted squares (which are a bit too big for the kind of square size I was envisaging anyway...) and doing something else with them? I have two of them. Erm. Very small dolls blankets?!

Should I iron interfacing onto the back of the thin silk squares? Argh. I've spread out all the material and I'm feeling a bit bamboozled.

Very grateful for any help or ideas.

NorksAreMessy Thu 25-Aug-11 06:48:34

Hello,

I have done this to make a quilt for my daughter going away to boarding school. I used bits of her old dresses, curtains we had in the house, souvenirs and meaningful fabrics.

I did what you suggest, used vilene on the back of the thinner fabrics and used fleece just as it is. I decided against the crochet squares, but you could put Velcro on the back of them and attach them to a square like that.

BTW I am not planning to wash this quilt. It gets febreezed regularly and will be dry cleaned if it needs it. Too big to go in the machine anyway.

Good luck

GetOutMyPub Thu 25-Aug-11 10:00:59

I would stitch the crochet squares on to a patch of fabric (kinda like applique) Otherwise maybe you could make them into pillow/cushion cases, some really fab ones here!

Maybe construct it like a rag quilt another tutorial here with the heavier fabrics as the backing. Then you would finish each square before joining together, so the quilting fabrics could be basted with wadding & the fleece/heavier fabrics unbasted.

MsPrufrock Fri 26-Aug-11 21:37:10

Thank you all! Really appreciate your input. I think I am veering towards interfacing on the silk, fleece as is, and using the crochet squares for something else.

Am a bit intrigued by the rag quilt. Not for this project, but perhaps another time...!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now