Talk

Advanced search

Please help me find some dressmaking fabric!

(8 Posts)
NotADudeExactly Sun 21-Aug-11 17:04:45

So my dad is getting married and I'm in desperate need of an outfit for the wedding.

I have found [http://www.coggles.com/item/Priestleys-Vintage/Olivia-Red-Silk-Dress/8S3M this dress], but it's a little too expensive. So I'm planning to make my own version of it.

The pattern is not an issue - but I could really do with some help finding fabric. Weight is not of primary importance as I can underline if needed. I am, however, looking for something that mimics the appearance of solid colour from a distance when it is in fact patterned. It doesn't necessarily have to be red.

I can't seem to find anything nice which is not 100% Polyester (I hate Polyester but would love cotton, silk or wool, also fine with viscose/rayon) or at least £40+ per meter. I am hoping to spend no more than £25/meter.

Is anyone able to help?

NotADudeExactly Sun 21-Aug-11 17:05:31

this is the link to the dress

SewCrafty Sun 21-Aug-11 17:55:59

Macculloch & Wallis in London do mail order and samples, if you can't get to them.

NotADudeExactly Sun 21-Aug-11 22:06:25

Thanks. I love that shop, actually live in walking distance. Their stuff is lovely - but really expensive very often. And thanks to the stupid inflation I am now officially spending everything on food! sad

GetOutMyPub Mon 22-Aug-11 09:11:00

As you are in west London, go to Goldhawk Rd, there are some great fabric shops right opposite the station, by the market entrance.

It is mostly good quality fabric at very good prices, which you can still haggle down!

And you are still walking distance from westfields lol

GetOutMyPub Mon 22-Aug-11 09:12:23

I also don;tthink I saw anything dearer than around £25 and that was for heavily embroidered bridal silk!

NotADudeExactly Tue 23-Aug-11 06:46:51

Hmm, I googled this. Seems to be an actual resource of cheap and plentiful grin

I'll definitely have a look around next week!

GetOutMyPub Thu 25-Aug-11 10:06:34

http://didyoumakethat.wordpress.com/2011/05/15/fabulous-fabric-fandango/

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now