Talk

Advanced search

I've just got myself a Brother KH830 knitting machine...sooo excited!!

(7 Posts)
SirSugar Tue 16-Aug-11 14:15:40

I have huge wool stash as I normally knit by hand. Have just taken a break as learning to cast on and got confused and made a hash of it.

did a quick bit of plain knitting last night, DP quite impressed as well with the sheer speed of the thing.

off to make a scarf now, will report back when done

SirSugar Tue 16-Aug-11 14:43:55

<<tears hair out in frustration>>

after four more cast on failed attempts due to stupid mistakes just got into swing of it and whole lot dropped off needles!!!!

SirSugar Tue 16-Aug-11 15:31:56

success!! a 4ft long scarf 60 stitches wide! In an hour!

ThighsTheLimit Tue 16-Aug-11 15:34:08

Ooft! My mum used to make me and my siblings jumpers(all matching!) with her knitting machine. The necks were always too tight and we screamed getting them over our heads grin

SirSugar Tue 16-Aug-11 15:43:13

grin

Sn0wGoose Thu 18-Aug-11 10:04:55

Well done! I had one and knit a fairisle jumper in a fortnight. But I didn't enjoy using it so I sold it.

I always found the easiest way to c/o was to wrap the needles, I never got along with the combs

tb Tue 23-Aug-11 22:38:01

I used to use the comb and some waste yarn, and then knit in a casting off cord. After that I used to start with the main yarn in a false rib with the tension 3 dots up and after each 10 rows move it up a dot (I think). Then you move it down a dot each 10 rows, back to the tension you measured on your tension square.

After that, you need to pick up the loops of the main yarn from the row where you started with the main yarn after the casting off cord and put them on the needles. You then knit the row across, and you then have a hem in a false rib.

From then on, it's all go, and in 20 mins you've knitted the back of a man's jumper. Then, for some reason, generally in the last inch, either the punch card does something silly, or else the whole bloody lot ends up on the floor.

Hope you've got a wool winder, for re-winding all the yarn you need to re-knit <<evil grin emoticon>>

Seriously, the 830 is a good machine, and it's still possible to get parts/accessories for it.

BSK (online) is good for yarns, and there used to be lots of places in the Yorks/Lancs area. Also, if you have any knitting factories near you, they will often sell cones.

There are knitting courses that you take your machine to. Can't remember where though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now